title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Playing CD sound tracks in numerical order

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PJBaker
    • Feb 2016

Playing CD sound tracks in numerical order

I have just used dBPowerAmp for the first time and have successfully ripped a CD so that all 10 tracks appear. However, when I play them, they do not play automatically, one after the other from 1-10. Instead, I have to click "play" to play each track one at a time. Is there some setting that will enable me to play all 10 tracks one after the other in numerical order? Please advise.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Playing CD sound tracks in numerical order

What is your player?

Comment

• PJBaker
      • Feb 2016

I am using Windows Media Player. I should have added that after the tracks have been ripped and appear on my C:/ drive in the Music folder, I transferred them to my USB thumb drive by dragging them to that drive, one by one. I would have preferred selecting that drive as the "final destination" after ripping (how do I make that designation?) or perhaps it would have been better to copy and paste to the thumb drive. Could any of those operations have prevented being able to play the tracks continuously in numerical order?

Comment

• PJBaker
        • Feb 2016

I found out how to rip directly to the USB thumb drive and am now able to play all tracks on my VLC player. However, they are playing in random -- not numerical -- order. But, I suppose that is an improvement over having to select to play each track one by one. I would still like to know how to select to have the tracks played in numerical order and have that as the default setting.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Are you adding track numbers to the filename when ripping. See dynamic naming in lower left of ripping screen.
          You want file names such as

01- titleofsong.flac etc

ps. VLC is a great video player but not so great audio player. Have you looked at foobar2000 as a player.
          Last edited by garym; February 12, 2016, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

See above, but also, are you sure it's playing random or is it playing in song title alphabetical order. I suspect the latter.

Comment

• PJBaker
              • Feb 2016

I erased everything that I did and did the rip all over again, numbering the tracks 01, 02, 03, ........and have saved them on my USB thumb drive. Everything is there as expected. However, when I try to play them on my VLC player, the first track (01) will play first; then, nothing will happen unless I click on another track. I'm new to this business -- which is not intuitive-- and feel that there is something that I am not doing. Do I have to create a play list so that when I want to play particular album I have to select that play list instead of the individual tracks that I've ripped? Please advise.

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Yes, it should be a lot easier. Not sure what you're doing wrong. Can't you navigate to the album rather than a track and click play on the album? I can't recall what the Vlc interface looks like and I'm not in front of computer. Should be simple

edit. Are all the tracks of an album in a single subdirectory? Do all the tracks have the same album tag?
                Last edited by garym; February 12, 2016, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• mville
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by PJBaker
                  I erased everything that I did and did the rip all over again, numbering the tracks 01, 02, 03, ........and have saved them on my USB thumb drive. Everything is there as expected. However, when I try to play them on my VLC player, the first track (01) will play first; then, nothing will happen unless I click on another track.
                  Please can you describe the exact steps you are taking in VLC to play these 10 tracks?

Comment

• PJBaker
                    • Feb 2016

I discovered the problem. Here are the steps that I've taken:

I insert the USB thumb drive (with my collection of Folk Music) into a port on the CPU and then select the album that I wish to play (e.g., Stan Rodgers, "Fogarty's Cove"). After selecting that specific album, I right-click on the title and then select "Play with VLC Media Player". Everything now works perfectly; all of the songs are played in numerical order. The mistake I had been making in the past was clicking on the first track (01) which would then only play that track. I had to then select track 02, 03, etc. to play the rest. I don't know why the tracks were playing in random order before. I clicked on the "Random" button which may have changed things back to the default setting. I don't know.

So, I think I have solved the problem and thank all of you for your patience with an 80-year-old man who has been introduced to computer technology at a late stage in life and is still "fumbling along" with the learning process. I may be back with other problems as I get deeper into the process ............

Best,

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

We all had our learning curve. And you'll find lots of help on this forum. Enjoy your music!

Comment

Working...

]]>