title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Classical tagging.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oggy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2015

Classical tagging.

Has anyone come up with a tagging template or method that has satisfied most of their requirements? Many thanks in advance.

Oggy.
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Classical tagging.

Originally posted by Oggy
    Has anyone come up with a tagging template or method that has satisfied most of their requirements? Many thanks in advance.
    Most of the standard tags (and media player/server software) have evolved in a very simplistic way biased toward contemporary pop/rock music and are not very relevant for the way that classical music is catalogued.

There are many discussions/guidelines on the internet e.g. Tagging Classical Music

Personally, when tagging classical, I tend to concentrate more on the Composer, Conductor/Performer, Orchestra and Soloists tags and less on Artist.

Comment

• schmidj
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2013

I think the main issues are not the tagging but the players and library databases, most of which sort on and display the tags important to pop music not classical. There are standard tags for the important items, but few players display them, and few databases make provision to sort on them. Also, most online metadata sources are a mess with Classical, often confusing (on purpose some times) composer and artist.

Concerning artist, there should be a "conductor" tag filled in for symphonies, etc. I usually include the conductor as a second artist. I also include the composer in parenthesis after the title of the track, as my players don't display composer.

I have a similar issue with my steelband recordings. In steelband, the arranger is very important, similar to the conductor of a symphony. There is no standard "arranger" tag, so I added one. The problem is that it isn't displayed by the player.

Asset has the ability to set up custom sort indexes, but we need a player with a more flexible selection on what is displayed when tracks are played.

Comment

• Oggy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2015

Thanks for the ideas and some serious reading. Also found some really good suggestions on the MininmServer forum.

Comment

Working...

]]>