title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Rip as One - joining tracks?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hotdog
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Nov 2015

Rip as One - joining tracks?

Hello, I'm a recent convert to DBPowerAmp from iTunes, and find it much better for ripping my CDs on the whole, I really like it. I probably won't normally need to use it, but I noticed the 'Rip as One' function. There's probably a few CDs where they've split parts of medleys into multiple tracks, and I'd probably like to join those together. I have looked at the Rip as One option in DBPA, but choosing the Start and End positions seems a bit fiddly. The iTunes option to 'join tracks' is much simpler, say if I want to just join a few tracks together. Is it not possible to just select the tracks I want to be joined and rip, rather than messing around with Start and End times, which might end up with bits from previous or later tracks added? This is one area where iTunes actually seems to have an advantage.
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Rip as One - joining tracks?

Why would you want to join the split tracks?

I can only see an issue if you use a non-gapless media player or are using a DLNA server (which is also non-gapless) to stream your audio files. A gapless media player will playback the split (medley) tracks as if they are one continuous track.
    Last edited by mville; November 10, 2015, 12:49 PM. Reason: added gapless info

Comment

• Hotdog
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by mville
      Why would you want to join the split tracks?
      I will want to rip certain tracks together so they are joined as one track. For example, on the CD "Memories Are Made Of This" by Dave King:

07 No other love [1:26]
      08 A tear fell (sung by Lita Roza) [0:51]
      09 It's almost tomorrow (sung by David Whitfield) [0:50]

This was originally one side of a 78rpm record, and it played as one track. Therefore I want to have it as one track, not three.
      Last edited by Hotdog; November 10, 2015, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

How will you be playing the tracks?

Comment

• Hotdog
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Nov 2015

In iTunes most likely.

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Hotdog
            In iTunes most likely.
            iTunes is now gapless, I believe.

... yes, I just tried iTunes (v.12.3.1.23). It is gapless.
            Last edited by mville; November 10, 2015, 01:56 PM. Reason: iTunes test

Comment

• Hotdog
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by mville
              iTunes is now gapless, I believe.

... yes, I just tried iTunes (v.12.3.1.23). It is gapless.
              That may be, but it still doesn't answer my original question. I want to rip these tracks 'as one'. If iTunes can do it, I'm sure this program must be able to.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

When setting the start and end times with Rip as One, the position jumps to the correct track starting or ending position.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Hotdog
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Spoon
                  When setting the start and end times with Rip as One, the position jumps to the correct track starting or ending position.
                  Presumably you mean if you click the blue bar right above the line where the track would start or end.

I still feel that the iTunes way is actually far simpler though, and I would wholeheartedly recommend that you consider implementing it in the next update of this program.

Comment

• mville
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Hotdog
                    That may be, but it still doesn't answer my original question. I want to rip these tracks 'as one'. If iTunes can do it, I'm sure this program must be able to.
                    Sorry, I simply misinterpreted post no. 3, thinking your concerns were about continuous playback of separate tracks, as in a 78rpm record playing as one track, when I guess they are not.

Comment

Working...

]]>