title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD Ripper Speeds

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tuneman
    • Sep 2024

CD Ripper Speeds

Years ago the common practice was to rip CD's at the slower speeds (2x 4x) for best accuracy. Is that unnecessary now with AccurateRip and the like? I have 2 disc drives for ripping. On my Buffalo Media Desktop Disc Writer I rip at 4x but on my HP PC Computer's Disc Drive 10x is the slowest speed shown. I got it to rip at slower speeds before but cannot remember the steps I had to take to achieve this. No such problems with the Buffalo Disc Writer as many speeds are accessible.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240902_134744618_HDR.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	327573
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Not necessary any longer, because of AccurateRip and other things. And in many cases, slowing the speed of a drive can be WORSE for ripping. Spoon (the dbpoweramp creator) often tells folks on this forum to not slow down ripping speeds.

Comment

• Tuneman
      • Sep 2024

Thanks for the info!
      I ripped CD's for many years using Jriver and have switched to dBpoweramp a couple of years ago. This will save me a lot of time. Would you recommend 10x or Max then?

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Tuneman
        Thanks for the info!
        I ripped CD's for many years using Jriver and have switched to dBpoweramp a couple of years ago. This will save me a lot of time. Would you recommend 10x or Max then?
        I would go with max, and let the drive decide automatically what speed to use. I set max, and the condition of the CD can greatly change the 'automatic' speed it uses.

Comment

• Tuneman
          • Sep 2024

I will go with max then. I found the Absolute Sound article that recommended slower speeds and it was 2011 so that was ancient history, lol.
          Ripping HDCD encoded discs I use the DSP/HDCD application without the 6 db boost. I am assuming this to be the best practice? Any advice appreciated.
          Thanks for all the help and really enjoying dBpoweramp.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

I rip my HDCD discs without the HDCD DSP (so I have a bit perfect digital copy, even if I want to modify an additional copy). And in cases where PE is actually a feature used in the HDCD CD I can create a separate copy converting the original files using the HDCD DSP (often HDCD features are not actually used. For example Grateful Dead releases of last 10 years, that are HDCD but don't use the Peak Extension feature, thus no reason to treat it like an HDCD). HDCD can be a complicated subject (particularly with all the "HDCD" disks that don't really use the features). See for example
            I apologize in advance for this lengthy post and its wordy questions, but after a lot of reading I'm still unsure what the best general approach is for ripping HDCDs, and from what I can tell there is no FAQ or definitive best practices recommended by illustrate. This might be a bit pedantic, but I'm really hoping those of you

p.s. be very careful of what you believe from Absolute Sound. A number of years ago they had an article that tried to convince people that a WAV file created on Windows vs. Mac, or even different Windows operating systems *sounded* different, despite the fact that they readily admitted that the different WAV files were *bit perfect* copies of each other. This is trivial to show. So in other words, complete *audiophool* nonsense. Buyer beware.

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

A good post on HDCD from a very knowledgeable digital music person

Hello! I'm planning on ripping a bunch of cd's using dBpoweramp and I want to rip everything perfectly the first time. I was taking a look at all of the DSP effects but now I'm left with a few questions. 1. What is the difference between the Hidden Track Silence Removal and the Silence Track Deletion DSPs? I get what they

Comment

• Tuneman
                • Sep 2024

Originally posted by garym
                I rip my HDCD discs without the HDCD DSP (so I have a bit perfect digital copy, even if I want to modify an additional copy). And in cases where PE is actually a feature used in the HDCD CD I can create a separate copy converting the original files using the HDCD DSP (often HDCD features are not actually used. For example Grateful Dead releases of last 10 years, that are HDCD but don't use the Peak Extension feature, thus no reason to treat it like an HDCD). HDCD can be a complicated subject (particularly with all the "HDCD" disks that don't really use the features). See for example
                I apologize in advance for this lengthy post and its wordy questions, but after a lot of reading I'm still unsure what the best general approach is for ripping HDCDs, and from what I can tell there is no FAQ or definitive best practices recommended by illustrate. This might be a bit pedantic, but I'm really hoping those of you

p.s. be very careful of what you believe from Absolute Sound. A number of years ago they had an article that tried to convince people that a WAV file created on Windows vs. Mac, or even different Windows operating systems *sounded* different, despite the fact that they readily admitted that the different WAV files were *bit perfect* copies of each other. This is trivial to show. So in other words, complete *audiophool* nonsense. Buyer beware.
                Hadn't heard this one but does not surprise me. Thanks for the heads-up.

Comment

• Tuneman
                  • Sep 2024

Originally posted by garym
                  A good post on HDCD from a very knowledgeable digital music person

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/forum/d...882#post187882
                  Thanks for these 2 links. I will definitely check them out.

Comment

Working...

]]>