title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Tricks to search for cover art?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael S.
    • May 2024

Tricks to search for cover art?

I use both CD Ripper and PerfectTunes to find cover art. Especially with older discs, it can be challenging to find good art and sometimes only find smaller, low density art.

I notice that search results can vary even when entering identical terms in the search bar. When I can't find good art, I try different search term combinations and sometimes get surprised with a nice result.

When changing search terms, I usually add the composer name at the beginning (which is usually missing), and then either make the music description more or less specific and include the performers (this is for classical music).

Is there anything else that can be done to help find the best results? Can you enter quotes (" ") around search terms to find the exact phrase or is the order of the terms important? What other search terms can be entered to help find the best art? Any help here appreciated.
  • Michael S.
    • May 2024

Also, I am wondering if each CD has a unique number or other code that would make searching for art far more specific - if so, where do you find it?

Comment

• schmidj
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2013

If I don't find appropriate cover art in a very short time, I just scan the original that is in the CD jewel case.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Michael S.
        When changing search terms, I usually add the composer name at the beginning (which is usually missing), and then either make the music description more or less specific and include the performers (this is for classical music).
        Finding the correct cover art is especially challenging with classical music because individual recordings are often included on so many different editions and releases.

I suggest you try Discogs, where you should be able to track down the specific CD (or vinyl) release and, 99% of the time, its cover art. When you find the art you want, click on it to get the largest version, then copy & paste into CD Ripper.

Another option is to simply google image results for the album, and copy & paste the best one you can find.

Only as a last resort do I ever scan the cover myself. These days, it's rare not to find an acceptable version online.

Comment

• miggs
          • Jul 2020

This page allows you to download album art directly from Apple Music servers.

Comment

• miggs
            • Jul 2020

My second goto if iTunes doesn't have what I am after.

Comment

• Michael S.
              • May 2024

Thanks, I tried Discogs and found art for an album that was having trouble with.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by miggs
                My second goto if iTunes doesn't have what I am after.
                https://albumartexchange.com
                Absolutely! This one is my go-to....great online community and selection of very high-quality covers. I didn't recommend it here, however, because I haven't found it very complete or useful for classical albums.

Comment

Working...

]]>