title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Does dbpoweramp tag files when ripping with album art? Do I need to tag separately?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zitsky
    • Jul 2024

Does dbpoweramp tag files when ripping with album art? Do I need to tag separately?

Great program. I have only ripped a few CDs but I have already decided to pay for it. But I wanted to ask, does dbpoweramp tag files with album art or do I need the separate id tag utility to do that? I am ripping 1) to update my music files from MP3 to FLAC and 2) copy files to a usb stick to use in a BMW 2024 530i with iDrive 8. (At least I think it's version 8 or 8.5.)
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Yes, dbpa will add both metadata ID tags (album, artist, track, genre, etc.) *and* album art when ripping. In the ripper settings, CD Ripper > Tags and Filename > Metadata and ID Tag > Options, you can tick the items you want included in metadata, including album art.

Note, if you tick the "Album Art" option, it will embed the album art in the file tags. I do not tick this (as I don't want embedded art) and instead at the top of those options is a place to tell it to save the art file as a separate file within the album folder. That's what I do, and it can be called either folder.jpg or cover.jpg. Of course one can do BOTH: embed and have folder.jpg.

Given your expected use in a car (which typically handle digital files very badly) you should test whether it recognizes art that is only in the folder (e.g., folder.jpg) or requires it to be embedded.

Comment

• schmidj
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2013

For what it is worth, my car, a Toyota Prius 2016, doesn't display either the embedded art or the file "folder.jpg" when playing from my phone via Bluetooth. Rather it uses my data plan on the phone to query Gracenote via the Internet and displays whatever Gracenote replies with - wrong or right - often a generic photo, not the album cover - (unless I shut that "feature" off in the car infotainment system, and then it displays no art.) Very annoying and Toyota has no firmware update. At least my phone displays the art I embedded, except when I'm using Waze or some other app while driving.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by schmidj
        For what it is worth, my car, a Toyota Prius 2016, doesn't display either the embedded art or the file "folder.jpg" when playing from my phone via Bluetooth. Rather it uses my data plan on the phone to query Gracenote via the Internet and displays whatever Gracenote replies with - wrong or right - often a generic photo, not the album cover - (unless I shut that "feature" off in the car infotainment system, and then it displays no art.) Very annoying and Toyota has no firmware update. At least my phone displays the art I embedded, except when I'm using Waze or some other app while driving.
        That's crazy! (And yes, I imagine very annoying!)

Comment

Working...

]]>