title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Pioneer Drive (BDR-X13UBK) Configuration Question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jrk-sc
    • Jun 2024

Pioneer Drive (BDR-X13UBK) Configuration Question

Hi,

Just purchased a new Pioneer BDR-X13UBK drive. So far, I like it, and it worked out-of-the-box on my MBP. But, testing it, I found a few issues that puzzled me. Reading The Fine Manual (always the last step!), I discovered the drive had something called "PureRead" that (as I understand it) mangles the data under even minor error conditions. So, I turned off that function. Was that the correct decision for ripping CDs, or am I missing something?

Thanks!
    Jon K

(P.S. To preempt comments about this not being a Mac BDR... Contrary to what is widely stated on the Internet, the drive works perfectly with macOS. There's a minor impairment in the drive configuration tool [no sleep timer], but I could care less about that. What many folks appear to gripe about is that Pioneer's toolset for mangling content only runs on Windows. To me, that isn't an issue, because there are many much better [and often FOSS] tools already available on the Mac.)
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

https://jpn.pioneer/ja/pcperipherals...y/index_27.php
    • Pure Read: On CD ripping, when read error happens, change one read parameter from the parameter candidate (rotation speed, pickup parameters etc) and retry read. Drive forget Pure Read settings on power cycle: Need to run Drive Utility app every time drive power is plugged.
    • Pure Read+: Drive remembers Pure Read settings. Now not necessary to run Drive Utility on every drive power cycle. + of subsequent versions have the same meaning.
    • Pure Read 2+: Added new read parameter to some specific disc conditions.
    • Pure Read 3+: Introduces Pure Read on realtime CD playback , Real Time Pure Read.
    • Pure Read 4+: When read error happens, change 2 or more parameters and retry.

Pure Read settings:
    • Standard Mode: On CD ripping, when C2 error happens, interpolate sample gap and read continues.
    • Master Mode: On CD ripping, When read error happens, change read parameter and retry (Pure Read). if several retry failed, interpolate sample gap and read continues.
    • Perfect Mode: Same as “Master Mode” but when several retry failed, reports read error to OS and stop ripping.
    • Real Time Pure Read: When app plays CD on realtime, drive detect it and enable realtime flavor of Pure Read (retry read and when deadline missed, interpolate the gap).

It would not interfere with CD ripping, as the drive changes speed etc to re-read, at the end of the day most drives interpolate errors and that would be picked up by AccurateRip.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jrk-sc
      • Jun 2024

Spoon,

Oh, wow! Thanks! That's A LOT more information than the manual supplied.

I greatly appreciate the details.

Thanks again,
      Jon K

Comment

• jrk-sc
        • Jun 2024

Hi Spoon,

Another quick question: The specs on this drive claim a 4MB buffer and that the drive uses C2 pointers. However, detection of both yield null results. Turning on C2 pointers manually is a no-brainer... but how about the cache? Should I leave it at "none", manually set it to 4096KB, set it to 1024KB, or something else?

Thanks again,
        Jon K

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Leave the cache at 1024, and test the c2 on a intentionally damaged disc.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>