title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

No meta Data

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duxdad1
    • Aug 2015

No meta Data

I have a compilation CD in .cda format. I was "hoping" the meta data for each track could be obtained by "CD Ripper" then ripped to MP*. It is not.
    Am I asking for something that can not be done? Or am I missing something.
    Thanks
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: No meta Data

Originally posted by duxdad1
    I have a compilation CD in .cda format. I was "hoping" the meta data for each track could be obtained by "CD Ripper" then ripped to MP*. It is not.
    Am I asking for something that can not be done? Or am I missing something.
    A .cda file doesn't contain any audio or metadata. These files are just shortcuts to tracks on an audio CD. Audio CDs do not contain metadata.

However, CDRipper will read the audio CD table of contents etc. and then attempt to obtain metadata for the audio CD from specified internet metadata database providers.

You are then able to review the metadata in CDRipper, selecting from the different providers, make any necessary changes and even manually add your own metadata, prior to ripping.

See here for more details (this page contains links to the online help):
    Convert Audio CDs fast and bit-perfect, secure ripping from the inventors of AccurateRip with quality metadata and album art

Are you saying that no metadata is showing in CDRipper?
    Last edited by mville; August 17, 2015, 01:19 AM.

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Is this a homemade compilation or a commercially released compilation cd? If the former, then no metadata database will contain info. If the latter, ripping the compilation cd should find metadata in most cases.

Comment

• duxdad1
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by garym
        Is this a homemade compilation or a commercially released compilation cd? If the former, then no metadata database will contain info. If the latter, ripping the compilation cd should find metadata in most cases.
        It is a homemade compilation. I was hoping there was a meta data tool that works like Shazam to identify each song. Guess not :(
        Thanks for the response.

Comment

• duxdad1
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by mville
          A .cda file doesn't contain any audio or metadata. These files are just shortcuts to tracks on an audio CD. Audio CDs do not contain metadata.

However, CDRipper will read the audio CD table of contents etc. and then attempt to obtain metadata for the audio CD from specified internet metadata database providers.

You are then able to review the metadata in CDRipper, selecting from the different providers, make any necessary changes and even manually add your own metadata, prior to ripping.

See here for more details (this page contains links to the online help):
          Convert Audio CDs fast and bit-perfect, secure ripping from the inventors of AccurateRip with quality metadata and album art

Are you saying that no metadata is showing in CDRipper?

That is correct. CD-Ripper finds no meta data. For what it is worth when the track is playing Shazam correctly identifies it.

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

That is correct. CD-Ripper finds no meta data. For what it is worth when the track is playing Shazam correctly identifies it.
            Yes, CDRipper finds no metadata because the internet metadata database providers do not have your homemade compilation CD in their databases.

Comment

• duxdad1
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by mville
              Yes, CDRipper finds no metadata because the internet metadata database providers do not have your homemade compilation CD in their databases.
              Guess I was hoping it would find meta data on individual songs, not the entire CD.
              Thanks

Comment

• Dat Ei
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Feb 2014

Hey duxdad1,

Guess I was hoping it would find meta data on individual songs, not the entire CD.
                I think, that you don't know and understand the method how CD Ripper works. CD Ripper does not analyse the music and its frequencies like Shazam & Co., but it calculates a check sum based on the table of content of original audio CDs. Then CD Ripper looks up for a match in different databases. In case of a match CD Ripper retrieves the meta data, in case of a mismatch CD Ripper retrieves no meta data and has no chance to get those any other way.

And because there are no entries for individual burned audio CDs in those databases, you will not get meta data for your CDs. That's all.

Retrieving meta data is just one of CD Ripper's functions. The main function is to rip audio CDs accurately bit for bit, again verified with checksums retrieved from databases in the internet.

Dat Ei

Comment

Working...

]]>