title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

HDCD not ripping at higher resolution.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miggs
    • Jul 2020

HDCD not ripping at higher resolution.

I am trying to rip Dixie Chicks - Home

CD Ripper is not recognising the disc as HDCD. The cover art has the HDCD logo. Also online databases list the disc as HDCD.
    Is there a way to see that the disc is actually a HDCD, with the TOC HDCD flag missing? Or is the disc just a regular 16bit CD with an erroneous HDCD logo in the cover art.

If it is indeed a HDCD, Is there a way to force the rip at the higher resolution?

I have ripped a many other HDCD discs successfully. The resulting files at 24bit.

Format: HDCD, Year: 2002, Labels: Columbia (5093542000), Monument (5093542000), Open Wide (5093542000), Barcode: 9399700103434, Length: 51:41

• Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

You would have to verify with another hdcd decoding tool, dBpoweramp does not use the TOC header, it actually looks for the HDCD marker header in the actual audio, and it checks each track individually.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• simbun
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Apr 2021

I use this ffmpeg script from Hydrogenaud.io to test for HDCD features.

Comment

• Mike-B
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Aug 2018

[COLOR=#000000]Hi miggs, I doubt your HDCD rips are really 24 bit although the file may indicate 24 bit.
        HDCD encodes the equivalent of [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]20 bits[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] from the CD 16 bit standard by using various filters.[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#000000]I've found ripping HDCD to give variable results, I suspect it depends on the studio's adherence to the standard. [/COLOR]

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

dBpoweramp will decode the HDCD to 24 bits (really 20 bits in 24 bit container).
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>