title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How do you change the default naming scheme...its really frustrating?!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbnewbie21
    • May 2024

How do you change the default naming scheme...its really frustrating?!

With this being the default naming setup:

[MAXLENGTH]80,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[album][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[track] [artist] - [title][]

It outputs to this:

Album Artist\Album Title\05 Artist - Title

MY INQUIRY IS:

What has to be changed in the above setup in order to have the following:

05\(Song)Title - Artist\Album Title

The way the default setup puts all the artists into the same folder automatically is great.

However I want to have the song title displayed in my player first, as that's the most important information followed by who is singing it then the actual album etc.
    I tried randomly messing with the naming setup by moving things around to my preference but this was a disaster and had to go back to the default setting.

For newcomers this part of the program could use an update...perhaps a click and drag feature to set up the way you want the songs to display?

Some sagely advice would really be appreciated because dbpoweramp is an amazing utility.

Thanks in advance!
  • BrodyBoy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2011

The previous response seems to have disappeared. So I'll just reiterate & summarize some key points about naming & metadata.

(1) A file's name is independent of the metadata contained within it. Most playback devices (I think all, but since I haven't tried them all, I'll play it safe and say "most") use metadata for navigation, search, and display. I've never seen a player that instead displays the filename during playback.

(2) Given that, the purpose of your naming scheme is just to organize your files the way that you want. However you arrange the folder structure and whatever info you want reflected in the filenames is for you, not your player.

(3) In dBpoweramp's naming scheme, a slash denotes a new subfolder, following standard file structure conventions.
    Simple example: In D:\Music\Beatles\Revolver\filenames, "Revolver" is a subfolder of "Beatles," which is a subfolder of the "Music" folder on the D: drive. (dBpoweramp will create any specified folder if it doesn't already exist.)

(4) You can devise a naming scheme that uses subfolders to organize your music however you like, and it won't impact your player's display data.
    Custom example: That same album could be organized as GENRE\ERA\ALBUMARTIST\ALBUM\filenames, making the folder structure something like Pop\60s\Beatles\Revolver\filenames. (Caveat: Make sure to have CD Ripper actually write the metadata referenced in your naming scheme. "Pop" and "Era" and even "Album Artist" are optional tags, so you must specify them.)
    The important takeaway is that the folder structure & naming scheme make no difference in how your player uses metadata or displays the song info during playback.

(5) You can include pretty much any information you want in filenames, but there's really no need to include anything beyond the track number and title. While your player doesn't care about filenames, your computer does. Something like \TRACK - TITLE will make your computer list the songs in their album order, whereas \TITLE is likely to result in an alphabetical listing. Most other information you might consider adding is already discerned by the the file's location, and is embedded in the file's metadata, so adding it to the filename just makes for longer filenames.

This summary of the basics is not comprehensive. But your question suggests a little confusion about the role of the naming scheme (used by you and your computer) versus the role of the metadata (used by your player). Don't worry, this is common when you're starting out. Keep experimenting with the program and asking your questions....you'll be a pro in no time!
    Last edited by BrodyBoy; May 13, 2024, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>