title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Loud click at beginning of cd ripped to dsd

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Howie407
    • Dec 2023

Loud click at beginning of cd ripped to dsd

I have been using the cd ripper to convert some of my cd collection to dsd files. I am finding that there is a loud click at the beginning of the first track and also if I skip tracks. This is a factor with other people on various websites and seems to be related to the way that the first part of the dsd files are formatted. It does not seem to happen with dsd files purchased from online sources. Is there any way around this problem when ripping?
  • GBrown
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Howie407
    I have been using the cd ripper to convert some of my cd collection to dsd files. I am finding that there is a loud click at the beginning of the first track and also if I skip tracks. This is a factor with other people on various websites and seems to be related to the way that the first part of the dsd files are formatted. It does not seem to happen with dsd files purchased from online sources. Is there any way around this problem when ripping?
    Is there a reason you wish to use DSD to store rips of CD? This will use huge file sizes and not gain anything. Redbook CD is 16bit depth and 44.1kHz sample rate. You can't gain resolution from this point. Why not use a lossless format like FLAC at the same depth and sample rate, and save the space and headache of the noise issues too.

Comment

• Howie407
      • Dec 2023

Originally posted by GBrown
      Is there a reason you wish to use DSD to store rips of CD? This will use huge file sizes and not gain anything. Redbook CD is 16bit depth and 44.1kHz sample rate. You can't gain resolution from this point. Why not use a lossless format like FLAC at the same depth and sample rate, and save the space and headache of the noise issues too.
      You are correct with your point and I have subsequently changed the format I am using, however I was still interested in the reasons why this was happening and why the ripped files had this problem when other dsd files did not. It may well be a simple thing to resolve in the ripping software but maybe not. It is obviously a more universal problem, not just restricted to this software, so someone must know what is happening. BTW, the large file sizes are not a problem for me as I do not have a huge library but I can imagine that anyone who had a very large library it would.

thanks for your comment but I would still be interested in knowing exactly what is happening.

Comment

• Mike-B
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Aug 2018

The click is something I encountered with the early (beta) days of Naim supporting DSD.
        It was a while back and if I remember correctly it was something to do with the way the DSD stream is packed into a 20 (or such number) PCM like chunk, and the click is because there is a fit problem into the chunk, an odd number or space or something.
        Maybe Spoon can elaborate

I don't understand the logic of converting a PCM file to DSD, yes DSD is a nice medium but only when the file is native original bitstream.
        Last edited by Mike-B; May 11, 2024, 06:51 AM.

Comment

• Howie407
          • Dec 2023

Originally posted by Mike-B
          I don't understand the logic of converting a PCM file to DSD, yes DSD is a nice medium but only when the file is native original bitstream.
          I agree, there is no logic :-) just my experimentation with the software which is fabulous for my needs in every other way. I suppose its really just trying to get something for nothing.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Howie407

I agree, there is no logic :-) just my experimentation with the software which is fabulous for my needs in every other way. I suppose its really just trying to get something for nothing.
            regarding upsampling redbook CD to DSD, I think you mean "trying to get nothing for nothing" ;-)

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

The click is likely in the player, often audio is cross-faded in to prevent clicking, if it is DSD it cannot be, because it is encoded and sent straight to the dac.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>