title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Portable (USB) license would be appriciated... (BIOS resets nvram)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adoteq
    • Apr 2024

Portable (USB) license would be appriciated... (BIOS resets nvram)

Is there a way to get a portable personal use license, as in through a usb stick that can be used on any pc (one at the same time)? I have a problem with software registering on a particular device. The following reasons I have against registering on a particular device.

- When a BIOS is updated or reset, the BIOS identification tends to change. I have had issues with FL Studio 12, windows 11 pro and some other software that unregisters without the option to re-register due to license limitations.
    - I have 2 computers, one a asrock motherboard selfbuilt and one a chinese motherboard selfbuilt. Both have these issues. If I loose power, the chinese motherboard will wipe the full nvram, causing the whole system to completely unregister all licenses. (If I use a battery that would probably not happen, but that would not safeguard me if the bios cmos battery dies years down the line where I would eventually have to replace it).

The best way would be, to make available licensing options that can be registered through the UUID of the USB stick, and in addition for people that dont want to use USB sticks because of poor build quality in general, they might be offered a login feature where they can unregister a device from a web portal? I would prefer to have this effect from your website, as it can be a problem to unregister a license from a computer that might have become unfixably broken. I have multiple computers, and my approach is to wipe them every 6-12 months to be safe on any potential malware. So, a license that survives the BIOS and windows reinstalls as well as using it on another computer (one at a time) would be for me the only reason why I would buy your software. I have been using itunes in the meantime, as I want to rip AIFF from CD's with artwork included, which itunes doesnt seem to offer. I really like your software, but I would prefer some way to have the license in a robust format, like was the case when cd's with license keys would work on any computer. I understand that you want to fight piracy, and you have all the right to do so, but I would insist to find a way to do that in combination with the robustness that existed back when licenses would work in any computer, as you would when you bought a license. I dont condone piracy, and I just want to bring this up, as I have for example bought a grey license for Windows 11 Pro OEM, which activates through microsoft servers over the internet. Probably WIndows 11 gets some additional access to the hardware ID's and what not, which is something you might be able to implement aswell. Maybe Windows 11 is able to reactivate on a small amount of hardware changes? Maybe you can atleast do something there? Let me know if anyone asks themselves the same questions, as I have bought a Windows 11 Pro OEM license, and so far will not buy or use any software that I cannot agree to the way the license verification works, as that would mean I would be in a loop of endlessly buying new licenses for the same computers or as I sell my computers for a new one. (I know that anytoiso gives the ability to use a usb stick to run the license from, which would be a reason for me to consider buying a license).

Awaiting anyone's responses,

Joannes Wyckmans
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

I buy the family license for a tiny amount more. Allows me to install on 5 computers at once. And I’ve often replaced computers. Easy to simply go to website , enter order number or email, download install exe file and back in business in a matter of minutes.

Comment

• adoteq
      • Apr 2024

You can deactivate a license from the website? So, without access to the computers that have a license installed?

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by adoteq
        You can deactivate a license from the website? So, without access to the computers that have a license installed?
        you don't need access to the older computers you have installed on to do a new install. There are processes in the background that will catch excessive installs/downloads, but under normal use, simply download your registered install and re-install.

Comment

Working...

]]>