title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How To Tag - Multiple Albums Released In The Same Year By An Artist

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BeAsTMode4MVP
    • Jun 2015

How To Tag - Multiple Albums Released In The Same Year By An Artist

I am at a loss, Google has let me down. Can this issue be resolved with tagging, or is it more media player dependent? I use Foobar as my media player.
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: How To Tag - Multiple Albums Released In The Same Year By An Artist

What is the issue, exactly?

Comment

• BeAsTMode4MVP
      • Jun 2015

Many bands have released more than one album in a calendar year (ex. Sgt Peppers & Magical Mystery Tour, both released in 1967). Media players default to alphabetical order if there is more than one album by an artist in the same year. I want the albums to appear in chronological order.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2011

Yes...what's the issue? They are presumably different albums, and they happen to have the same artist and year tags. (Bruce Springsteen released two albums on the same day once!)

I don't see what tagging issue these situations might cause....am I missing something??

Comment

• BrodyBoy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by BeAsTMode4MVP
          Many bands have released more than one album in a calendar year (ex. Sgt Peppers & Magical Mystery Tour, both released in 1967). Media players default to alphabetical order if there is more than one album by an artist in the same year. I want the albums to appear in chronological order.
          If your player can use -SORT tags, you can manipulate those to include the year. If your players won't do that, you have a couple other options, if it really matters that much. (I can't imagine you have all that many instances of this particular situation...)

1. Use a longer YEAR format. I typically use XXXX-XX.
          2. Insert a qualifier into the ALBUM title to force the sort order you want.

(To answer your original question, by the way....it is indeed a function of your player. But then library navigation always is, and it's not that uncommon to have to manipulate tags to force the behavior you want in a particular player, since they each tend to have their own software design quirks.)
          Last edited by BrodyBoy; July 28, 2015, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

I too use the long Year format, when possible i.e. yyyy-mm-dd or yyyy-mm and I include this (yyyy-mm) in the Album Sort tag e.g.

[1967-06] Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (2009 Stereo Remaster)
            [1967-11] Magical Mystery Tour (2009 Stereo Remaster)
            Last edited by mville; July 28, 2015, 01:07 AM.

Comment

• BeAsTMode4MVP
              • Jun 2015

Does including the date in the sort tag have any adverse effects? I was using Album Sort for albums like The Smiths (Smiths, The).

Does foobar automatically understand the long date format? Do I need to change a setting somewhere?

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2011

No adverse effects at all....I've done it this way on all my albums for years.

It's easy enough to see how foobar handles these....retag the YEAR on a couple of these same-artist, same-year albums, rescan, and see how foobar sorts them.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mville
                  I too use the long Year format, when possible i.e. yyyy-mm-dd or yyyy-mm and I include this (yyyy-mm) in the Album Sort tag e.g.

[1967-06] Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (2009 Stereo Remaster)
                  [1967-11] Magical Mystery Tour (2009 Stereo Remaster)
                  Like minds...! I think that's exactly how I have those two albums sort-tagged.

Comment

Working...

]]>