title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Accurate database......Question.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daleyb
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Oct 2014

Accurate database......Question.

Maybe Iam missing a trick here..but why is it when I rip a really well known Cd-Accurate rip does not show. Then on really obscure acts it comes up.( Iam 99% sure its all working and set up fine.) Maybe I just not Savy enough to know how databases work..

For Example, I just tried ripping Led Zep 4 (Which musos-forgive if Iam inCorrect sold a fair few copies- you would expect to come up in a matched database.)) -ive tried the review meta Amg, music branz etc...Options and still no luck.It still ripped perfect-so maybe i shouldnt be moaning...

But A few weeks ago I went to a concert of a really obscure act- her Cd wasnt Offically released and only sold at concerts (the cds were promos kinda "homemade" in a small quantity-yet accurate found 4 matches..)

Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" -Michael Jackson"Thriller" ...Has anyone in the world heard these cds...Maybe not...
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Accurate database......Question.

Originally posted by daleyb
    Maybe Iam missing a trick here..but why is it when I rip a really well known Cd-Accurate rip does not show. Then on really obscure acts it comes up.( Iam 99% sure its all working and set up fine.) Maybe I just not Savy enough to know how databases work..

For Example, I just tried ripping Led Zep 4 (Which musos-forgive if Iam inCorrect sold a fair few copies- you would expect to come up in a matched database.)) -ive tried the review meta Amg, music branz etc...Options and still no luck.It still ripped perfect-so maybe i shouldnt be moaning...

But A few weeks ago I went to a concert of a really obscure act- her Cd wasnt Offically released and only sold at concerts (the cds were promos kinda "homemade" in a small quantity-yet accurate found 4 matches..)

Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" -Michael Jackson"Thriller" ...Has anyone in the world heard these cds...Maybe not...
    Is it the recently released Led Zep IV remasters? maybe not in the database yet? Or maybe you have a version that is not yet in the database. The same title CD can be pressed by different plants, with different offsets, etc. So perhaps the version you have of a CD is *not* the version of the CD that has made its way into the AR database. Not sure, but I wonder if your CD Rom reader may be an issue. Can you try ripping some of these CDs with a different DRIVE?

Comment

• BrodyBoy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by garym
      Is it the recently released Led Zep IV remasters? maybe not in the database yet? Or maybe you have a version that is not yet in the database. The same title CD can be pressed by different plants, with different offsets, etc. So perhaps the version you have of a CD is *not* the version of the CD that has made its way into the AR database. Not sure, but I wonder if your CD Rom reader may be an issue. Can you try ripping some of these CDs with a different DRIVE?
      +1

Especially with some of those older classic albums....like Led Zeppelin IV and Rumours....they've often been through so many remasters and releases and re-iterations and pressings that it's not that unusual when some of them are not in the databases.

Remember, daleyb, AccurateRip is not comparing albums per se, or track listings, or any of the things that we look at to say "these are the same album." Rather, AccurateRip is going deeper than that.....it's comparing the exact digital data ripped from a compact disc to other discs that should have that exact same digital data. If there are any differences, it's not a match. A re-release of, say, Rumours, might look just like another release from 15, 20, 30 years ago, but in fact they are not identical digital data.

Comment

• daleyb
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Oct 2014

Thanks for sharing that Info folks...I reckon my drives fine ( a good 80% of my cds rips come up with Accuraterip-no probs) But just surprised when a really well known cd dont match..(even if its ripped perfect..)

I do have another cd Drive on my Computer(but its Exactly the Same Make & Model..) But may be worth swapping just to see...

There was someone on one of the thread recently who Couldn't get a recent Stevie Nicks Cd match....You would just Expect an Artist that well known to match. or maybe not it would seem...

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

There was someone on one of the thread recently who Couldn't get a recent Stevie Nicks Cd match....You would just Expect an Artist that well known to match. or maybe not it would seem...
          as BrodyBoy mentioned, the more popular the CD, the more likely to have lots and lots of different pressings, etc. Obscure CDs made in small batches one time only are less likely to have multiple pressings!

Comment

• daleyb
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Oct 2014

Good Point (yet again!)...

Comment

• daleyb
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Oct 2014

just wondering then- If theres a CD from a few years back and a new remastered version is released a few years later- (With better sound Quality)....Then you rip the older version...(And there both in Accuraterip ) Only Your older Cd will be ripped (It wont be "upgraded" to the newer version..) be nice if it did...

Another Question: Can I take it that if your using a fast Internet Connection (Iam using Fibre Optic) That when ripping with the DBPA software the info & artwork will be found quicker ( ..But to answer my own question cant imagine theres a lot init even with a slower connection..)

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

just wondering then- If theres a CD from a few years back and a new remastered version is released a few years later- (With better sound Quality)....Then you rip the older version...(And there both in Accuraterip ) Only Your older Cd will be ripped (It wont be "upgraded" to the newer version..) be nice if it did...
                No, what you get is the CD you rip. It doesn't magically update the files to a newer CD. AR is just a database for checking things, it doesn't contain the actual CD data. And by the way, a newer version will not necessarily be BETTER in terms of sound quality. In plenty of cases newer is worse. Google "loudness wars" for example.

Another Question: Can I take it that if your using a fast Internet Connection (Iam using Fibre Optic) That when ripping with the DBPA software the info & artwork will be found quicker ( ..But to answer my own question cant imagine theres a lot init even with a slower connection..)
                Yes, a bit quicker, but all of this is minor compared to the time it takes to actually rip the CD, which is not dependent on the internet at all.

Comment

Working...

]]>