title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

This file is missing Media Usage Rights

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Audiofan
    • Apr 2015

This file is missing Media Usage Rights

I just purchased dBpoweramp and have been ripping a few CDs to create WAV files. I'm using WMP (Win7) to play back files. One CD was giving me a terrible time with one song not showing up in the WMP library. No matter what I did I couldn't get the song to be listed with the other songs on the CD even though all the songs were listed in the CD folder in Explorer. I tried deleting the song from the folder and then ripping the single song by itself. I also deleted the entire folder and ripped the CD again. I did this multiple times. If I doubled clicked the song from the Explorer folder it would play but it never showed up in WMP.

While the song was playing it displayed in the right hand pane of WMP and I right clicked the song and displayed 'Properties'. Under the 'Media Usage Rights' tab the following info was displayed "This file is missing media usage rights". No other ripped songs displayed a similar message.

I decided to delete the CD folder and ripped the CD using WMP. No issues with the ripping and the song displayed properly in WMP library.

Any idea what caused the dBpoweramp software to have a problem with this particular song? The CD plays without an issue and the song file plays without issue. There are no scratches on the CD. What was it about this particular song that caused dBpoweramp to mark it as though there were DRM issues?
  • Audiofan
    • Apr 2015

Re: This file is missing Media Usage Rights

I should add that all other songs ripped by dBpoweramp displayed the message "This file is not protected" under the 'Media Usage Rights' tab. After I ripped the CD using WMP the problem song no longer displayed "This file is missing media usage rights" under the 'Media Usage Rights' tab. It now displayed "This file is not protected" like all the other songs.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

It is not possible for Wave files to have media usage rights, it must be some bug with Windows Media Player, as a test try a different audio player.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Audiofan
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Spoon
        It is not possible for Wave files to have media usage rights, it must be some bug with Windows Media Player, as a test try a different audio player.
        Since I removed the one problem file and ripped it successfully with WMP I'm not sure trying a different audio player will help determine anything. I can remove the entire CD file and see if I can recreate the problem situation with dBpoweramp again.

Question, when I first ripped the CD with dBpoweramp isn't all information associated with the ripped CD written to the file by the dBpoweramp software? And WMP is just displaying that info from 'Properties'?

If I can recreate the problem situation can I post the file as an attachment for you to look at and analyze?

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Normally dBpoweramp embeds tag information, which players can read, yes.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>