title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Custom tag for rip quality

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Schooner
    • Jan 2015

Custom tag for rip quality

Is it possible for dbPoweramp to rip a CDE and then include a custom field that is automatically filled to indicate the quality of the rip? For example, it could indicate Accurate, Secure, or Error. It would be great if it were possible for these fields to be filled when the CD is ripped rather than having to add them as custom fields manually afterwards. That way, I could sort my collection to know which are questionable tracks.
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Custom tag for rip quality

Check Options>Meta Data & ID Tag in CDRipper. AccurateRip Result is one of the writable ID Tags.

Comment

• schmidj
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2013

I looked at this, and what it writes in the tag. For albums not in AccurateRip (many of mine, mostly Caribbean releases) it does not differentiate between secure with a green "i" (meaning it had to re-rip frames, and quite possibly, from my experience, is a bad rip) and secure with a check mark, which almost always is a good rip. I wish the tag made that differentiation. I'd take the time to listen to the ones with the "i".

Also, this tag doesn't seem to appear in mp3tag, I can't see how to make it appear. Any mp3tag experts here know how to add a column showing this tag. It's being written, I can see it in the file properties.

Thanks

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

In MP3Tag, customize columns...>new column

set value to %accurateripresult%, set field to %accurateripresult%.

You can also do the same for %accurateripdiscid%

Comment

• MTWolf
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Mar 2011

Actually it does, Below are examples of the tags contents (tag data starts with AccurateRip: and ends at ])

AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 3) [A223966E] Perfect Rip (AccurateRip CRC matched, Confidence is the number of other people who got this value)
          AccurateRip: Not in database Secure: Yes [3C078E13] Prefect Rip (Green Check mark)
          AccurateRip: Not in database Secure: Yes (warn) [F77345E9] Rip with soft errors (Green I)
          AccurateRip: Not in database Secure: No [E6818CBB] Rip With Hard Errors (red X)
          AccurateRip: Not in database Secure: Yes [00000000] Prefect Rip (Green Check mark) (disc is in AccurateRip, Track Result didn't match)
          AccurateRip: Not in database Secure: No [00000000] Rip with hard errors (Red X) (disc is in AccurateRip)

The value between the [] is the check sum of the track, Except where it is all zeros, that is a flag that the tracks crc didn't match the AR crc value.

I this this is all the possible variations, and the explanation of the meanings I hope is correct.

Comment

• schmidj
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2013

Thank you for updating me, I swear I looked at the tags from both green check mark and green i last night and didn't see the (warn), but that's what happens at 3 AM... and mville, thanks for the instructions for adding the column to mp3tag, I saw the new column part but didn't know what the tag should be entered as (although I should have figured it out from the tag properties in explorer).

BTW, my experiences of the last couple of days make it evident that if you have bad/damaged CD'd to rip, it pays to have a variety of players. My main setup uses three LG blue-ray players. I usually run three instances of the ripper, most of my CD's aren't in accuraterip,as I said above, and it takes 15 to 20 minutes to rip one, two full speed rips and one slow extra-secure one per track. If I don't have to futz with the metadata too much (sometimes) and don't have to scan the album cover (there is rarely artwork readily on line for these CD's, and searching for it on my own takes far longer than scanning it) I can easily keep all three rippers going. I have three monitors, one instance of the ripper displayed on each. If I had another monitor, I could keep another instance of the ripper going much of the time. Sometimes when there is no or really messed up metadata, it takes me long enough to enter it that all the rips finish except the one I'm entering the data for.

Anyway, I recently picked up one of the Samsung SH-224 decks recommended here to try on some discs that failed in the LG units.

One disc which played the third from the last cut with rerips and failed on the last two cuts completely on the LG player ripped, at full speed, on the Samsung. That recovered my $15.00 paid for the Samsung right then.

Another bad CDR, which failed on cut 1, had a few rerips on some of the later tracks and failed with thousands of rerips on the last two tracks on the LGs, the first track ripped with three frames reripped on the Samsung, but the tracks near the end with a dozen or so reripped frames on the LG had hundreds of reripped frames each on the Samsung. The last two cuts failed also, with even more rerips than the LG's. Since the CD is now unobtainable, I retried the last two tracks using an LG, with 1000 rerip tries per bad frame allowed and no time limit, left it running when I went to bed. This morning I saw that both tracks had errors. So I listened to what the result was. The first one (next to the last) played with two almost inaudible dropouts. The second (last) one had more momentary dropouts and what may have been a couple of clicks, but was still very listenable. If I really wanted to repair the tracks, I have audio editing software I use for analog restoration that will easily and inaudibly fix the dropouts. It is often used to get rid of pops and clicks, or tape dropouts in analog recording. These tracks had several thousand frames to rerip each, so I'm surprised that the end result was listenable.

So it obviously pays to have an assortment of players, and to have patience when trying to rip bad CD's.

John

Comment

Working...

]]>