title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Need help with Dynamic folder coding

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • finnsbo
    • Dec 2014

Need help with Dynamic folder coding

Hi there,

I am having a hard time to get my folders as I want them.
    I have searched and tried to the best of my ability but not succeeded. I Have been using:

[IFCOMP][album artist]\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] [title][]

But cannot get the artist and album sorting right.

I want Compilation, Multiple dics and regular to be like the following.

Artist sort\album sort\track title - artist sort (when compilation)

Is there anyone who knows how to get this to work? Thank you
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Need help with Dynamic folder coding

You want artist sort instead of artist? for many discs this field is not populated.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BrodyBoy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by finnsbo
      I want Compilation, Multiple dics and regular to be like the following.

Artist sort\album sort\track title - artist sort (when compilation)
      I suspect you don't really mean the actual -SORT tags (ARTISTSORT, ALBUMSORT, etc), since your naming string doesn't use them at all.

It would probably be helpful if you give examples of how you want each album type to be organized and named.

Comment

• finnsbo
        • Dec 2014

Thank you both for your replies.

I actually thought you could use the [tag]<element>[] and choose "artist sort" for let's say The Beatles > Beatles, The

STANDARD: Artist*\Album*\Track Title
        Jackson, Michael\Thriller\01 Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'

COMPILATION: Album artist\Album*\Disc\Track Title - Artist*
        Various Artists\Take Me To The River\Disc 1\01 You Don't Miss Your Water - Bell, William
        Take Me To The River would here be shortened from Take Me To The River: A Southern Soul Story 1961-1977

* album/artist sort if possible

Comment

• finnsbo
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Spoon
          You want artist sort instead of artist? for many discs this field is not populated.
          Sorry. Please see above :-)

Comment

• BrodyBoy
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2011

Thank you both for your replies.

I actually thought you could use the [tag]<element>[] and choose "artist sort" for let's say The Beatles > Beatles, The

STANDARD: Artist*\Album*\Track Title
            Jackson, Michael\Thriller\01 Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'

COMPILATION: Album artist\Album*\Disc\Track Title - Artist*
            Various Artists\Take Me To The River\Disc 1\01 You Don't Miss Your Water - Bell, William
            Take Me To The River would here be shortened from Take Me To The River: A Southern Soul Story 1961-1977

* album/artist sort if possible
            I'm afraid I'm still not clear what you mean when you say "album/artist sort if possible" at the end there, yet don't include it in your naming strings. Also not clear what "use the [tag]<element>[] and choose "artist sort"" means.

Perhaps the problem lies in a confusion about sorting behavior and -SORT tags. ARTISTSORT and ALBUMSORT, etc (i.e., all the various -SORT tags) are discrete tags that some playback devices can recognize and use to customize library navigation. Which -SORT tags are recognized varies with different players. Similarly, these discrete tags could be used in naming strings to force Windows to organize your files & folders in a specific way.

-SORT tags aren't typically found in the online metadata, so you can't assume those fields are automatically included..."populated," as Spoon put it...when you rip your CDs. Rather, they are more often generated by the ripping software, if you choose, just as you might add things like ENCODER or SOURCE tags to your files.

Further, the content and format of those tags isn't standardized or automatic. While -SORT formats that strip a leading "The" or put last names first are common, you still have to ensure dBp writes your desired -SORT tags and knows how to construct them. (I.e, they usually need to be generated from already-existing tag data.) For example, if you wanted a COMPOSERSORT tag "Mozart" added to a file, you'll probably need to generate that tag from the already-existing COMPOSER tag "Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart."

So now....we get back to naming strings. If you want dBp to write folder and file names based on specific sort formatting, you need to actually use those -SORT tags in the naming string.

[Artist]\[Album]\[Track] [Title]
            is not that same as
            [Artistsort]\[Albumsort]\[Track] [Title]
            They use different tags, which may or may not contain the same data.

I think the problem/confusion that both Spoon I expressed with your question is that you seem to want a desired sorting behavior, but you're not using any -SORT tags (in your naming string) to achieve it.

Sorry for the long-winded response, but does that make sense? I'm confused about how you are trying to achieve sorting behavior without using SORT tags......

Comment

• finnsbo
              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by BrodyBoy
              I'm afraid I'm still not clear what you mean when you say "album/artist sort if possible" at the end there, yet don't include it in your naming strings. Also not clear what "use the [tag]<element>[] and choose "artist sort"" means.

Perhaps the problem lies in a confusion about sorting behavior and -SORT tags. ARTISTSORT and ALBUMSORT, etc (i.e., all the various -SORT tags) are discrete tags that some playback devices can recognize and use to customize library navigation. Which -SORT tags are recognized varies with different players. Similarly, these discrete tags could be used in naming strings to force Windows to organize your files & folders in a specific way.

-SORT tags aren't typically found in the online metadata, so you can't assume those fields are automatically included..."populated," as Spoon put it...when you rip your CDs. Rather, they are more often generated by the ripping software, if you choose, just as you might add things like ENCODER or SOURCE tags to your files.

Further, the content and format of those tags isn't standardized or automatic. While -SORT formats that strip a leading "The" or put last names first are common, you still have to ensure dBp writes your desired -SORT tags and knows how to construct them. (I.e, they usually need to be generated from already-existing tag data.) For example, if you wanted a COMPOSERSORT tag "Mozart" added to a file, you'll probably need to generate that tag from the already-existing COMPOSER tag "Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart."

So now....we get back to naming strings. If you want dBp to write folder and file names based on specific sort formatting, you need to actually use those -SORT tags in the naming string.

[Artist]\[Album]\[Track] [Title]
              is not that same as
              [Artistsort]\[Albumsort]\[Track] [Title]
              They use different tags, which may or may not contain the same data.

I think the problem/confusion that both Spoon I expressed with your question is that you seem to want a desired sorting behavior, but you're not using any -SORT tags (in your naming string) to achieve it.

Sorry for the long-winded response, but does that make sense? I'm confused about how you are trying to achieve sorting behavior without using SORT tags......

I think I might have been quite vague and missing an important detail - I actually manually write all metadata and want the ID-tag: Album sort, Artist sort to determine the format for the Windows folders.

The string I used only seemed to lack this type of sorting. Instead of [Artist] and [Album] I hoped to change it so it takes the data from the ID-tag Album artist etc.

This might not be possible, but I sure would like it to work.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2011

I think I might have been quite vague and missing an important detail - I actually manually write all metadata and want the ID-tag: Album sort, Artist sort to determine the format for the Windows folders.
                So by manually, I assume you mean that you already have dBp set up to add those tags as you rip? They have to exist at the time that dBp writes the files.

The string I used only seemed to lack this type of sorting. Instead of [Artist] and [Album] I hoped to change it so it takes the data from the ID-tag Album artist etc.
                The naming string simply needs to use [ARTISTSORT] instead of [ARTIST] and [ALBUMSORT] instead of [ALBUM] if you want those tags to determine the file names and/or folders that dBp writes.

It's entirely possible. It's entirely possible to have dBp organize your files/folders by any tag you like....you just need to use that tag in the naming string. So, for example:

[ARTIST]\[ALBUM]\..... will put the files in an Album subfolder within the Artist folder

[GENRE]\[ALBUM]\..... will put them in an Album subfolder within the Genre folder

[ARTIST]\[YEAR]\[ALBUM]\..... will put the files in an Album subfolder of a Year subfolder within the Artist folder

[ARTISTSORT]\[ALBUMSORT]\.... will put them in an AlbumSort subfolder within the ArtistSort folder

etc, etc....

Virtually any folder organization is possible. You just need to use the right tags in your naming string, and make sure that those tags are actually being written when you rip.

Comment

Working...

]]>