title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

WAV ripped file size different to CD file size

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dunstan
    • Dec 2014

WAV ripped file size different to CD file size

Hi, I'm new to dbpoweramp but finding it a nice product to use. I'm just starting to rip my CD collection of around 400 CDs using three formats simultaneously... mp3 for my ipod classic; Apple Lossless to put on my laptop and WAV files to for my Network Storage to use with my Audiophile system at home (Naim based).

When I set everything in the wav rip settings as 'uncompressed' and 'as source' my ripped files are much smaller than the original. Eg BB King and Eric Clapton, Riding with the King... CD size as shown in dbpoweramp is 1.11Gb but my ripped wav album is 0.62Gb, which surprising to me as I expected an 'as original' copy in terms of file size and quality. Is there an explanation for this and is it something to worry about in terms of the quality of my rip?

Thanks for the help.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: WAV ripped file size different to CD file size

Originally posted by Dunstan
    Hi, I'm new to dbpoweramp but finding it a nice product to use. I'm just starting to rip my CD collection of around 400 CDs using three formats simultaneously... mp3 for my ipod classic; Apple Lossless to put on my laptop and WAV files to for my Network Storage to use with my Audiophile system at home (Naim based).

When I set everything in the wav rip settings as 'uncompressed' and 'as source' my ripped files are much smaller than the original. Eg BB King and Eric Clapton, Riding with the King... CD size as shown in dbpoweramp is 1.11Gb but my ripped wav album is 0.62Gb, which surprising to me as I expected an 'as original' copy in terms of file size and quality. Is there an explanation for this and is it something to worry about in terms of the quality of my rip?

Thanks for the help.
    I'm not sure about the size issue (Spoon will have to chime in), but you do realize that a lossless file is the same QUALITY no matter the size. So a WAV=FLAC=ALAC in terms of quality (i.e., no difference). That's why these are LOSSLESS files rather than lossy (like mp3 or m4a). Given this, it seems odd to want both an ALAC (lossless) and WAV file (lossless). Both of these decode to a bit perfect lossless file. Maybe your NAIM server doesn't handle ALAC?
    Last edited by garym; December 20, 2014, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

>CD size as shown in dbpoweramp is 1.11Gb

No standard audio CD can ever be this, they top out at 640MB for standard, and around 800MB for 90 minute CDs.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Dunstan
        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by garym
        I'm not sure about the size issue (Spoon will have to chime in), but you do realize that a lossless file is the same QUALITY no matter the size. So a WAV=FLAC=ALAC in terms of quality (i.e., no difference). That's why these are LOSSLESS files rather than lossy (like mp3 or m4a). Given this, it seems odd to want both an ALAC (lossless) and WAV file (lossless). Both of these decode to a bit perfect lossless file. Maybe your NAIM server doesn't handle ALAC?
        Garym,
        Thanks - yes I am familiar with the principle of lossless files, but on my Naim setup it just seems to me that wav sounds better than ALAC or FLAC (Naim can process them both). I don't now why and I accept it might be all in my head (and my wife's head actually, because she can hear it too)... Anyway disc space is cheap these days so a triple rip is no big deal - and dbpoweramp cleverly lets me direct the three formats to different directories on my 2TB portable drive.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Garym,
          Thanks - yes I am familiar with the principle of lossless files, but on my Naim setup it just seems to me that wav sounds better than ALAC or FLAC (Naim can process them both). I don't now why and I accept it might be all in my head (and my wife's head actually, because she can hear it too)... Anyway disc space is cheap these days so a triple rip is no big deal - and dbpoweramp cleverly lets me direct the three formats to different directories on my 2TB portable drive.
          got it.

Comment

• Dunstan
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Spoon
            >CD size as shown in dbpoweramp is 1.11Gb

No standard audio CD can ever be this, they top out at 640MB for standard, and around 800MB for 90 minute CDs.
            Spoon, Thanks very much for the quick reply and yes, you make a very good point. So I've just ripped another CD. I popped it in my Mac laptop first and according to 'get info' the disc is about 505Mb and indeed the ripped wav album is 506.2 Mb, but the 'Estimated Size' in the dbpoweramp track list is 878.77Mb, so it seems the problem is not with the size of the rip but the estimated size in dbpoweramp?

Comment

• Dunstan
              • Dec 2014

Spoon, Thanks very much for the quick reply and yes, you make a very good point. So I've just ripped another CD. I popped it in my Mac laptop first and according to 'get info' the disc is about 505Mb and indeed the ripped wav album is 506.2 Mb, but the 'Estimated Size' in the dbpoweramp track list is 878.77Mb, so it seems the problem is not with the size of the rip but the estimated size in dbpoweramp?
              OR... is dbpoweramp telling me the combined size of the three rip formats? Maybe that's the answer.

Comment

• Dunstan
                • Dec 2014

OR... is dbpoweramp telling me the combined size of the three rip formats? Maybe that's the answer.
                Yes! The total of the three rip formats is 878Mb, as estimated by dbpoweramp. Thanks guys, if you need any more help, just let me know

Comment

Working...

]]>