title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD Ripper delusional metadata?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Redd
    • May 2014

CD Ripper delusional metadata?

I was moving some of my music to FLAC tonight and ripping "The Original Jazz Masters Series, Vol. 2, Disc 1" with the CDripper.

Except, CDripper insisted that was disc*5 not disc*1. And as I punched settings sorta blindly, I found that just about EVERY online metadata source has this disc listed incorrectly. (Not bad for 20+year old disc.)

I finally found one that wasn't too bad, it said that I had "The Original Jazz Masters Series, Vol. 2, cd 1, disc 5" which is a bit mystical but at least had the right tracks listed. And I punched some more buttons hopping that I've now sent the corrected information back up to all those metabases.

BUT.

Isn't there any way to compel CDripper to just read the ****ed CD and get the data from the source??

Another volume had a totally mythical album name slapped on it, even though the track listings were correct. Surely, there's data on the CD itself? At least sometimes?
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: CD Ripper delusional metadata?

Originally posted by Redd
    I was moving some of my music to FLAC tonight and ripping "The Original Jazz Masters Series, Vol. 2, Disc 1" with the CDripper.

Except, CDripper insisted that was disc*5 not disc*1. And as I punched settings sorta blindly, I found that just about EVERY online metadata source has this disc listed incorrectly. (Not bad for 20+year old disc.)

I finally found one that wasn't too bad, it said that I had "The Original Jazz Masters Series, Vol. 2, cd 1, disc 5" which is a bit mystical but at least had the right tracks listed. And I punched some more buttons hopping that I've now sent the corrected information back up to all those metabases.

BUT.

Isn't there any way to compel CDripper to just read the ****ed CD and get the data from the source??

Another volume had a totally mythical album name slapped on it, even though the track listings were correct. Surely, there's data on the CD itself? At least sometimes?
    I think you mistakenly think that most CDs contain metadata on the cd itself. This is rarely true. The metadata is coming from online databases. In the 6,000 or so CDs I've ripped I have the most metadata issues with box sets and multi disk compilations. And after every ripping session, I review the metadata, art, file names, etc. and confirm all is good before moving files to my archive.

Comment

Working...

]]>