title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Restricted Character options - Different Settings for Filename and Tag?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Max Dread
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Dec 2013

Restricted Character options - Different Settings for Filename and Tag?

Hi all

I've tried searching and experimenting and cannot find out whether this is possible...

I'm only concerned with question marks at the moment. With the other characters I'm happy with the defaults. Ideally I would like tags to keep question marks but filenames to remove them/replace them with nothing. Is that possible?

If not, second best would be to not have question mark at all (in neither the tag nor the filename).

Many thanks

Max
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Restricted Character options - Different Settings for Filename and Tag?

By default ? is replaced with upside down ? only in filename, it is left as is for the ID Tag.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Max Dread
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Spoon
      By default ? is replaced with upside down ? only in filename, it is left as is for the ID Tag.
      Sure, that's what I've found. But it's not what I'm after! My preferences are as per the OP.

Cheers.

Comment

• Max Dread
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Dec 2013

And just to clarify the OP: tags keep questions marks. Filenames do not have anything.

ALBUM: Ain't It Dead Yet?

Remains the same for tag but for filename becomes:

Ain't It Dead Yet

Cheers

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Max Dread
          And just to clarify the OP: tags keep questions marks. Filenames do not have anything.

ALBUM: Ain't It Dead Yet?

Remains the same for tag but for filename becomes:

Ain't It Dead Yet

Cheers
          you can make the file name whatever you want. Just go into windows explorer and edit the file name and remove the upside down ?. This won't affect the tag info or what it shows in your players (which are using the tag info). Obviously, this is a manual task and not automatic. Why does it matter that there is an upside down ? in file name? Again, this is not in the tag and it is the tag that matters. Maybe I'm missing something with your desired outcome, or maybe just your OCD?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

CD Ripper >> Options >> Filename restricted characters

replace the upside down ¿ with nothing (a blank line)
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Max Dread
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by garym
              Maybe I'm missing something with your desired outcome, or maybe just your OCD?
              I'm afraid it's ashamedly the latter... I just like to keep the filenames and folders all neat and tidy (the upside down ? isn't pleasing to my eye). But you are of course right. It doesn't really matter. I'm sure I'll cope!

CD Ripper >> Options >> Filename restricted characters

replace the upside down ¿ with nothing (a blank line)
              Tried that but it didn't work... In fact, whatever I change ? to in the "Replace with" field, it always uses an inverted ?. Possible bug?¿¿??¿!

Cheers
              Last edited by Max Dread; 02-03-2014, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• Max Dread
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Dec 2013

On reflection though, there are times when I use the "by folder structure" in foobar for navigating my music. So when doing that I'll be bumping into a lot of inverted ?s. It's not a huge problem. But my preference would be as above (? in tag, Nothing in filename/folder). Or else I would rather have a dot than a question mark.

So if there is an easy way of doing it, it would be nice to know. If it's not possible, then so be it.

Many thanks

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

It was my mistake, you set the ? to * and it is removed
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Max Dread
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Dec 2013

Do you mean TO REPLACE stays as a ? and REPLACE WITH should be *

Comment

• Max Dread
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Dec 2013

I guess if it's not possible I can just do as Gary suggests and amend filenames/folders manually....

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

Do you mean TO REPLACE stays as a ? and REPLACE WITH should be *
                        Yes
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Max Dread
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Dec 2013

Yes
                          I've tried it but it's still not playing ball. I'm still getting inverted question marks. I'm using multi encoder in case that makes any difference?

Comment

• mville
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Dec 2008

I've tried it but it's still not playing ball. I'm still getting inverted question marks. I'm using multi encoder in case that makes any difference?
                            Works for me, including multi encoder (dBpoweramp Music Converter R15 beta 12, 64-bit)

Comment

• Max Dread
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Dec 2013

Hmmmm I'm on R14 in case that makes any difference?

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...

]]>