title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Odd CDs won't rip correctly. Need advice.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M2P
    • Sep 2012

Odd CDs won't rip correctly. Need advice.

Hi.

I have an issue with the odd CD where as an example, The Eagles - Hotel California. An early W.German pressing shows a track 0 shaded as hotel california, then the 1st track - new kid in town as 335.3 mins long for a total of 2.6gb, the rest at around the average for uncompressed flac at around 50mb.

But if I hit rip, the disc rips at 120x speeds as secure ( my max is set at 16), the files save at 50mb but no sound can be produced from these files. The * 1 track produces an error.

Is there some form of copyright protection happening or is it a disc drive issue?

THe DVD-RW drive is a Benq DW 240s which has been very reliable over almost 2000 discs.

This disc is among a few I've been sourcing lately which are early pressings with supposedly better dynamic range so I'd appreciate getting a bit perfect rip from it.

Regards
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Odd CDs won't rip correctly. Need advice.

sounds like a CD disk protection that was popular in the past for a short time. Can you try using the option when ripping, Defective by Design and see if that helps.

Comment

• M2P
      • Sep 2012

I tried using Defective by design but yet again, it ripped at 110+ X speeds and the files have no sound output.

It does play well as a CD but unfortunately, I do all playback via a music server for ease of use.

Any other ideas?

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by M2P
        I tried using Defective by design but yet again, it ripped at 110+ X speeds and the files have no sound output.

It does play well as a CD but unfortunately, I do all playback via a music server for ease of use.

Any other ideas?
        I'm out of ideas. Maybe spoon has some. Just as a test, does the CD rip, if you rip it with say, Windows Media Player or iTunes? If it does, rip to WAV or ALAC, then convert those files to FLAC.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Possibily your cd drive is not able to rip such disc, as the drive has to support reading outside of the false lead in / out and not all can.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• M2P
            • Sep 2012

Thanks for all your advice guys. I will attempt that garym.

Spoon (or others). Whilst this may have been asked many times before in multiple threads, Can you give me a couple of recommendations for dvd-rw (or similar) that are known to be effective in almost all circumstances? These would have to be commonly available units if possible.

This is not the first time I've come up against this but the first time I want to rip this disc specifically.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Drives change so fast I am not aware of any that you can buy, perhaps look for overread ability in a drive (such as the old plextors) and source a 2nd hand one.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• M2P
                • Sep 2012

Thanks. I found an 5.25" enclosure with a drive in it and set it up. It ran with no issues.

I them logged on to New Zealand's equivalent to Ebay and found a supposedly lightly used Plextor PX-W4012TA for $5.

So this may become the future ripping device all CDs failing the Benq. Or maybe it is a better option even via usb?

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

You would have to try, a Sata drive potentially will be easier to accommodate.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• M2P
                    • Sep 2012

I will. Fortunately this 5.25" enclosure is ide and outputs via usb 2.0 and firewire.

Thanks for your time and regards.

Comment

Working...

]]>