title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

24 BIT CD: How to rip?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Renatar567
    • Dec 2013

24 BIT CD: How to rip?

I have this CD that says 24 BIT (and Dolby Surround) on the back, but I don't know if it's an HDCD. If I use that DSP and hover over the ripped files it still says 16 BIT. Can I rip flac files to 24 bit?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: 24 BIT CD: How to rip?

It is not a 24 bit CD, it was mastered from 24 bit, mastered to a 16 bit CD.

All CDs are 16 bit except a HDCD (which can decode as 20 bits) or a SACD which has a 24 bit layer.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Renatar567
      • Dec 2013

If I'm right, the Dolby Surround is impossible too then?

Comment

• dewdude
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Spoon
        It is not a 24 bit CD, it was mastered from 24 bit, mastered to a 16 bit CD.

All CDs are 16 bit except a HDCD (which can decode as 20 bits) or a SACD which has a 24 bit layer.
        Actually; HDCD audio is dithered down to 15-bit with the LSB being used to trigger the decoder and settings. It's a 16-bit stream that's Redbook compatible; but the audio is physically only 15-bits. The 20-bit "decoding" is actually a compansion technique. Also, SACD's don't have a 24-bit layer. They have a DSD layer; which is the 2822khz/channel 1-bit format as well as a standard Redbook layer. The SACD CD layers are claimed to "always be HDCD"; but I've never found this to be true. DSD itself is only about as efficient as 20-bit PCM.

If I'm right, the Dolby Surround is impossible too then?
        Dolby Surround is merely a matrix surround system. Basically, the rear channels are contained within the normal stereo channels and is "extracted" using phase-extraction methods. For Pro-Logic; the rear channels are about 180 degrees out of phase with the front channels. It is not impossible; as I have editors that will "extract Pro-Logic"; but the results do not work well since there is proprietary hardware Dolby used to make the system work that hasn't been emulated in audio. Not to mention the rear channels in Pro Logic (also called Dolby Surround at one point) aren't stereo and have a 7khz bandwidth.

Comment

Working...

]]>