title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Unpleasant 'crack' Noise Between Tracks During Playback After Ripping to Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • starvinmarvin
    • Mar 2013

Unpleasant 'crack' Noise Between Tracks During Playback After Ripping to Hard Drive

[SIZE=1][COLOR="*0000FF"]Hi everyone,
    Ripped a bunch of CDs to a hard drive on my PC using dbPoweramp, ASUS and Lite-on DVD drives, SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio (driver is up to date) and Seagate 1TB hard drive (approx. 1 year old).

Playback chain uses HDMI-out on Gigabyte Geforce GTX460 (nVidia HD Audio drivers) feeding into HDMI input on Pioneer plasma TV, then from Pioneer's Optical-out to Bifrost DAC for D-to-A decoding, then analog out to Audio Research pre-amp, then to amp. and speakers.

If volume is set to moderately loud a noticeable "crack" or "tch" sound is clearly audible the instant before a track begins to play.

This unpleasant noise does not occur if i just play the actual CD in either DVD drive.

Is this a known problem with dbPoweramp? If not, then i have a tedious troubleshooting road ahead!

Can anyone shed some light on this weird problem? [/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Last edited by starvinmarvin; December 11, 2013, 09:10 PM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Unpleasant 'crack' Noise Between Tracks During Playback After Ripping to Hard Dr

See:

dBpoweramp tags wave files according to the Microsoft specification (LIST tags), also with an ID3 chunk. Wave files are created using chunks (that is separate components), simple wave files have a header chunk and a data chunk for the audio. A tagged wave file will have a header, audio data, and id tag chunks. Poorly written
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• starvinmarvin
      • Mar 2013

Re: Unpleasant 'crack' Noise Between Tracks During Playback After Ripping to Hard Dr

[SIZE=1]Thanks very much. i'll check it out. The players are VLC and sometimes Windows Media Player. Since the annoying Crack sound happens with both i'm wondering if the Bifrost D-to-A converter might be the culprit? [/SIZE]

Comment

• starvinmarvin
        • Mar 2013

[SIZE=1]OK, the forum thread you referenced suggests to disable ID tagging for wave files. i haven't made any changes yet, but i wonder if you can give me some idea of what i will lose if i disable ID tagging? i mean do i lose all track info or just the "keyword" type info?
        Also, i'm guessing that if i disable ID tagging for wave files it will only affect tracks i rip in the future, not the ones i've already ripped. Is that correct?
        And, can you suggest a media player which will simply not produce the Crack noise between tracks?
        Regards.[/SIZE]

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

It only changes tracks you rip in the future.

You would lose the keywords (artist, album, etc).

I would recommend ripping to FLAC and use Foobar2000 for playback.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>