title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

FLAC Lossless and bitrate

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thijazi
    • Oct 2013

FLAC Lossless and bitrate

I ripped my CDs using dBpoweramp using the FLAC codec as the output format, and configuring dBpoweramp to use the default FLAC lossless setting (Lossless Level 5) as I intend to listen to the music on some good quality gear and don't want to use mp3 or other compressed/lossy formats.

The CDs ripped fine, however I noted that when I play these back (using JRiver Media Center for instance) the bitrate for the files shows random values ranging between 400-950+ kbps, I was wondering if this means I am not getting CD quality rips? the CD should output 1411kbps as far as I know.

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: FLAC Lossless and bitrate

No, as it shows the compressed bit rate, as lossless is like zip, it uncompresses 100% the same. So for example if it compressed 2:1 then it would show a bitrate of half.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• thijazi
      • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Spoon
      No, as it shows the compressed bit rate, as lossless is like zip, it uncompresses 100% the same. So for example if it compressed 2:1 then it would show a bitrate of half.

Thanks for the reply, so I take it there is no reduction in quality in this case. I was a bit worried that I may have ripped my library in vain. I am keen on getting CD quality rips, no compromise

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Any format which pertains to be lossless retains 100% quality all the time.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>