title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dbPowerAmp hangs when starting rip or configuring Accurate Rip

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marie_r
    • May 2011

dbPowerAmp hangs when starting rip or configuring Accurate Rip

Dear All,

I recently upgraded my motherboard and did a clean install of Winodws 7. dB Poweramp CD Ripper (release 14.4) is no longer functioning. The symptoms are as follows:
    1. Attempting to configure accurate rip hangs the program.
    2. Skipping accurate rip, I can start ripping a CD, however there is no progress and it hangs forever. This occurs when ripping to FLAC or the Test Conversion encoder.
    3. This occurs on four discs that I have tested, including one that I have ripped before.

When attempting a rip, I suspect we are hung on some system resource. The program cannot be exited, and frequently cannot be killed by task manager. When this happens, attempting to log out of Windows also hangs forever, and the computer's reset button must be pressed (e.g. <ctl> <alt> <del> no longer works). Selecting reboot instead of logout will execute cleanly.

Information about my configuration:
    Windows 7 enterprise - recent install
    McAffee Anti Virus - Behavior persists when access protection and on-access scan are enabled.
    ASUS P9X79 PRO
    Intel Core i7 3820
    Alcohol had been installed, but I removed it as I read that virtual drives sometimes caused issues. (dBPowerAmp was playing well with Alcohol on my previous motherboard)

I tried uninstalling the dB PowerAmp, running the provided registry cleaner, and reinstalling to no avail. I also tried reseating the CD's SATA connector as suggested in another post (not to the motherboard though as it is under a graphics card which I would need to remove). However, the CD drive functioned perfectly before and I other applications (e.g. windows media player) can still use it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you - Marie
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: dbPowerAmp hangs when starting rip or configuring Accurate Rip

CD Ripper >> Options >> Communication

Set to Windows Built in
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• marie_r
      • May 2011

I only saw "Windows Internal" rather than Windows Built in and assume that this is the same setting. If it is, it does not change the behavior, it still hangs.

Thanks - Marie

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

There is something serious wrong with your system, perhaps a driver is wrong. The Windows Internal method uses Windows for ripping (no low level scsi calls as dbpoweramp normally does), it is impossible for any program to do anything wrong when calling these methods.

Check your motherboard bios version, how the sata ports are configured (which mode they are in), and try to update the chipset drivers.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• marie_r
          • May 2011

Thank you, it does look like it was a driver problem. I finally had the time to open up the case and move the SATA cable from a Marvell SATA-6 controller to an Intel SATA-3 and I'm able to encode again. All my best - Marie

Comment

• schmidj
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2013

When I built my new computer some months ago, I had similar problems with the Marvell controller, among other issues, I couldn't burn to drives plugged into it. I e-mailed Gigabyte, and they said to make sure in the BIOS that the Marvell controller was set to IDE mode. After doing that, it worked, and works fine currently with dbpoweramp as one of three identical drives in the machine.

Comment

Working...

]]>