title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

checking comilaton

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinni
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Aug 2013

checking comilaton

I just checked what is compilation means. It seems compilation album has play list based on some crtieria from different studios or aritsts etc.

When ripping CD, what does it mean "compilation" checked. I believe, I ripped some CDs with this checked. Trying to understand if I need to fix anything.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: checking comilaton

Originally posted by chinni
    I just checked what is compilation means. It seems compilation album has play list based on some crtieria from different studios or aritsts etc.

When ripping CD, what does it mean "compilation" checked. I believe, I ripped some CDs with this checked. Trying to understand if I need to fix anything.

Compilation typically means an album that has multiple artists. Examples include movie soundtracks, tribute albums, etc.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by chinni

If you think you inadvertently applied the compilation flag to albums that are not compilations, you may want to go back and fix those. Even if it doesn't cause problems in your current player, it could well show up down the line somewhere. (Some players, for example, automatically put compilations under "Various Artists" in the artist view. That can be annoying when an album doesn't actually belong there.)

As I said, it might not even matter now. But I've found that it's most efficient to make sure I've got accurate, consistent, thorough metadata at the time of ripping, before the new music is even added to the library, rather forever fixing annoying issues that pop up from poorly tagged files.

Note: garym defined compilations perfectly, so I'd only add one comment. A very common mistake is to apply the compilation flag to single-artist collections like "greatest hits" albums. Those are NOT compilations, for the purposes of library and player organization.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by BrodyBoy
        Note: garym defined compilations perfectly, so I'd only add one comment. A very common mistake is to apply the compilation flag to single-artist collections like "greatest hits" albums. Those are NOT compilations, for the purposes of library and player organization.
        Another point is that sometimes the compilation tag will be set when there are one or two featured artists on tracks. For these albums I do NOT want it to be a compilation. But on these I do fill in the album artist field with the main artist for the album.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by garym
          Another point is that sometimes the compilation tag will be set when there are one or two featured artists on tracks. For these albums I do NOT want it to be a compilation. But on these I do fill in the album artist field with the main artist for the album.
          Excellent point.

I find the ALBUM ARTIST tag so important to controlling how players organize and display my library that I ensure it's appropriately filled on all my files. (And it's a particularly useful tool for fine-tuning the way compilations are treated....separating out those various categories you mentioned rather than having them all lumped together under Various Artists. In fact, I have no Various Artists listing....I find it to be too broad.)

Comment

• chinni
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Aug 2013

Thanks for replies. How do I know if I had ripped any CDs with compilation checked? DO I expect various artists folder?

I dont' know if I am doing right. I started ripping for Indian movies. 99% of Indian movies have 6 to 8 songs. Each movie has only one music director like AR Rahman. Each song can have its own singers typically two singers for male/female. It could have have more than two singers as well. Also each song in a movie could be written by different person. We have CDs released per movie. I am using meta data like this.

Global
            Album Name: Movie name
            Album Artist: Music Director
            Year: year the movie released

Each song specific
            Title: First sentence of the song
            Aritst: singer1; singer2; singer3
            Composer: writer of the song.

This is how I am exploiting meta data to adapt to Indian songs though composer and album artist have different meanings. I am not selecting compilation. Let me know if I am wrong.

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Your approach seems fine as is. There is no correct answer, only personal preference for what makes sense for you and whether your player works with your method.

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

To see if you have the COMPILATION field, select all the album files, right click, and select the dbpa edit I'd tag option and see all the tag fields. Or open files in mp3tag, select files, right click, then choose "extended tags". This will show you every tag field in file(s). In either case you can delete (blank out) the compilation tag field if you want to.

Comment

Working...

]]>