title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How to edit meta data

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinni
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Aug 2013

How to edit meta data

Some how some of album files has corrupt meta data and I need to edit. It is taking lot of time to edit using "edit ID". Is there any other tool that I can use to edit meta data to fix the problems?

Is it possible to open flac files using dbpoweramp and fix meta data?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: How to edit meta data

dBpoweramp can edit flac files yes.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• chinni
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Spoon
      There is no file menu to open album that has flac files. It only has option to open cd roms. Appreciate help.

Comment

• chinni
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Aug 2013

It would help to know any apis(if possible Java or XML) to manipulate meta data as well. I need to replace comma with space and semicolon

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by chinni
          It would help to know any apis(if possible Java or XML) to manipulate meta data as well. I need to replace comma with space and semicolon
          An "ACTION" in mp3tag can easily automate this in a batch way. Be careful though. If trying to do multi field values, in mp3tag replace comma with "\\" rather than ;
          I suspect you can also automate with dbpa batch converter, converting to ID TAG UPDATE DSP and setting correct info in the manipulate tab.

Comment

• chinni
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by garym
            An "ACTION" in mp3tag can easily automate this in a batch way. Be careful though. If trying to do multi field values, in mp3tag replace comma with "\\" rather than ;
            I suspect you can also automate with dbpa batch converter, converting to ID TAG UPDATE DSP and setting correct info in the manipulate tab.
            Thanks. I installed mp3tag and used Actions->Action(Quick)
            Then entered
            Field: artist
            Original: ,
            Replace : space semicolon
            It worked perfect. You mentioned to be careful to not use semicolon. Do I expect any problems with this?
            Last edited by chinni; September 21, 2013, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Thanks. I installed mp3tag and used Tools->Action
              Then entered
              Field: artist
              Original: ,
              Replace : space semicolon
              It worked perfect. You mentioned to be careful to not use semicolon. Do I expect any problems with this?
              Test the files in the player of your choice. Does artist show up with multiple values or with a single value with a ;
              Even better, In mp3tag, select a file and right click. Then choose extended tags. If you have true multiple artist fields, then you will see TWO artist fields with each having a single artist listed.

Comment

• chinni
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by garym
                Test the files in the player of your choice. Does artist show up with multiple values or with a single value with a ;
                Even better, In mp3tag, select a file and right click. Then choose extended tags. If you have true multiple artist fields, then you will see TWO artist fields with each having a single artist listed.
                Hi Garym,
                I ripped from dbpoweramp by entering following values for 6 songs.
                1. Kishore Kumar; semi space

2. Kishore Kumar;semi nospace
                3 Kishore Kumar\ slash space
                4.Kishore Kumar\slash nospace
                5.Kishore Kumar\\ double space
                6.Kishore Kumar\\double nospace
                -----------------
                From 2 to 6, I see single value for artist when I looked at extended tag from mp3tag. However for the first test case, I found the following.
                Result from extended tag
                artist:Kishore Kumar
                artist:semi space

On the left-side of value for Artist in mp3tag
                Kishore Kumar\\semi space

When I edit using ID tag from dbpoweramp the value is still , Kishore Kumar; semi space.

---------------------------------------------------------
                I am more confused now. What is really extended tags. Why the value is same when I look in edit ID tag, but the value is // when I look in mp3tag and also two separate artists when I look in extended tag. I guess that is why you said to change to //. Appreciate for any explanation.

Comment

• chinni
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Aug 2013

Spoon, In another thread you mentioned the following
                  ------------------
                  It is format & tag dependant, dbpoweramp standardizes on:

artist1; artist2

and behind the scenes it will convert to the right format for the tag.
                  --------------------------------
                  Does it mean behind scenes , it will convert the "; space" to "\\" and extended tag shows two separate artists? Do you still want me to stick to ";space" if change the values using mp3tag?

Appreciate for best way. I want do it right for good and don't worry about these.

Comment

• dbfan
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jan 2011

MP3tag might do things differently to dBpoweramp, so we can only speak for dBpoweramp.

Comment

• mville
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2008

I am more confused now. What is really extended tags. Why the value is same when I look in edit ID tag, but the value is // when I look in mp3tag and also two separate artists when I look in extended tag. I guess that is why you said to change to //. Appreciate for any explanation.
                      Both programs display multi-value tags differently.

For flac files, dBpoweramp separates multi-value tags with a semi colon and a space (; ) and MP3Tag, by default, separates mutli-value tags with 2 back slashes (\\).

For example, using the Composer tag, in dBpoweramp you will see:
                      John Lennon; Paul McCartney

and in MP3Tag you will see:
                      John Lennon\\Paul McCartney.

When editing in dBpoweramp continue to separate with a semi colon and a space and MP3Tag continue to separate with the 2 back slashes and you should be fine.

Extended tags in MP3Tag is just another way of viewing the tags except it separates out the multi-value tags, i.e. John Lennon\\Paul McCartney is displayed as:

Composer John Lennon
                      Composer Paul McCartney

Please note the above refers to flac files only, which uses vorbis comments to store its tags.

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Thanks mville for the clear examples! chinni, simply continue ripping properly in dbpa (with the "; " between multi values) and everything will be perfect. The underlying tags are all the same, it is just that the interfaces (mp3tag, dbpa, etc.) are using different symbols ("\\" vs "; ") to translate certain things so that the tags are correct, as mville's examples clearly show.

Comment

• chinni
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Aug 2013

miville, garyam, Thanks for reply with explanation. I will stick to use "; " for any albums that I will rip from now onwards.

However, I alreay have more than 1500 songs ripped with artist having multiple values with ",". I have very few with "&" for multi values. I don't want to rerip again since it can takes hundreds of hours. I tried in mp3tag
                          replace "," with "//" as given here.

Kalyani Koduri,Sravanthi

When I see extended tag, I see as one artist having value of Kalyani Koduri//Sravanthi . How do I fix this? One time it seems it worked to see two separate name/value for artists. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

If possible, I want to stick to dbpoweramp suite. It does not look like these allow to globally replace for all the songs containing in a folder.

Whatever I do, unless I see two name/value pairs for artists in extended tag, the values are not correct right? Appreciate how to fix all the mess.

Comment

• chinni
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Spoon
                            Spoon, You said dbpoweramp can edit flac files. I see only option to select cd. There is no file menu to read flac files from hard disk. Could you please explain how you can open to edit flac fiels from dbpoweramp? Let me know if there is any batch way to replace meta data.

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

Open Windows explorer, select one flac file >> Edit ID Tags

later you can select all the flac files of an album (but no jpg) and do the same to edit all the metadata for the album.
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>