title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

A Newbie Question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdubin
    • Jul 2013

A Newbie Question

Hi:

I recently purchased DBPowerAmp CD Ripper so I can begin ripping my CD collection to single FLAC + Cuesheet for archiving purposes.

By default "burst" was checked as the ripping method and I initially used it because I did not know better. But I started to become concerned when some tracks ripped as "accurate" and others as "inaccurate".

By googling, I found an excellent article on what the best settings should be and that the ripping method should be "secure", not "burst".

But by doing this, I discovered that my external CD/DVD drive was on its last leg, because I was getting errors which did not happen using my computer's internal CD/DVD burner. So for now I am using my internal CD/DVD drive.

The question I have is this: On a particular CD, the last track gave an error after 6 ultra secure passes and re-ripping which was quite time consuming. I did not want to go crazy because of this error so I switched to "burst" and did the ripping again so I could get a complete rip even though the last track then showed as "inaccurate". Then I opened the .cue in Foobar2000, converted the FLAC into separate tracks, and played the last track in VLC Media Player. Even though it was through computer speakers, I listened very carefully for the 7+ minutes and it sounded fine to me. Since I need a complete lossless archive of this CD, is there anything else I could have done besides rip in "burst" mode?

Thank you.

mdubin
  • BrodyBoy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2011

Re: A Newbie Question

Just a heads up: If you identify the actual topic of your question in your thread title (i.e., something like "Burst mode & accuracy"), you're more likely to get views and answers from other users with expertise on your specific issue.

Comment

• mdubin
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by BrodyBoy
      Just a heads up: If you identify the actual topic of your question in your thread title (i.e., something like "Burst mode & accuracy"), you're more likely to get views and answers from other users with expertise on your specific issue.
      Thanks for pointing this out. Any way I can change the topic now? If not, I will start a new thread with a more relevant topic and pose my question again.

mdubin

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Modern drives interpolate errors into silence, so it can be difficult to hear the errors.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mdubin
          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Spoon
          Modern drives interpolate errors into silence, so it can be difficult to hear the errors.
          Thanks. So the bottom line is that if I cannot get a complete rip using secure mode, I have no alternative but to rip again using burst and not be too concerned about the error.

mdubin

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

yes (this is what people do everyday with itunes ripping and never notice a thing!). You can try ripping using a different drive to read the CD. I sometimes get problems from one drive but not from a different drive.

Comment

• mdubin
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by garym
              yes (this is what people do everyday with itunes ripping and never notice a thing!). You can try ripping using a different drive to read the CD. I sometimes get problems from one drive but not from a different drive.
              That is exactly what happened. I had been using an external CD/DVD burner for several years with my older XP desktop. Recently I purchased a laptop with an internal CD/DVD burner but connected the external a few days ago to take the load off of the internal. I was getting errors on almost every rip with the external where every rip with the internal was successful (except for the one which prompted this post).

So I ordered a new external burner to share the load of ripping my CD collection (which is massive) to FLAC Image + Cue.

mdubin

Comment

Working...

]]>