title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

what does the number represent after accurate rip in parenthesis

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • len bell
    • Jul 2013

what does the number represent after accurate rip in parenthesis

when i rip a track flac uncompressed, after ripping i see accurate(30) or accurate(2), etc...what does the number represent in parenthesis, and does that have anything to do with rip quality, and if so is there an audible difference.

Thanks,
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: what does the number represent after accurate rip in parenthesis

Originally posted by len bell
    when i rip a track flac uncompressed, after ripping i see accurate(30) or accurate(2), etc...what does the number represent in parenthesis, and does that have anything to do with rip quality, and if so is there an audible difference.

Thanks,
    Nothing to do with rip or sound quality. It tells you how many other people in the world ripped the same disk and had the same CRC (i.e., bitperfect match). That's the advantage of accuraterip over simply secure ripping. If you rip the same disk more than once and get matches, there could still (although unlikely) be problems because you are using the SAME disk, SAME diskdrive, etc. But with ACCURATERIP, if you get a match, your rip matches x number of other people ripping a DIFFERENT physical copy of the CD on a different computer with a different disk drive. The odds of you matching their rip when there is a problem is probably trillions to 1 (i.e., effectively impossible).

Having larger numbers (2) vs (30) is not that big a deal. Just means more people have ripped that disk. But even a (1) match is assurance that your rip is bitperfect** (assuming that the single match is not a rip you yourself did in the past that is now in the AR database and therefore you are only matching to yourself).

**EDIT: For example, this AR match of (1) is equivalent to you buying TWO copies of the CD, ripping each of them on DIFFERENT computers, and then comparing the CRCs of the two ripped albums and getting a perfect match. Also note that new CDs (and even slightly obscure older CDs) don't show up in the AR database. Not showing up doesn't mean there is a problem, it is just not there (yet). One can use several tools to check back on AR matches at a future date (useful for new CDs). One is PerfectTunes available here.
    Last edited by garym; July 25, 2013, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>