title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripper does not save custom tags in cache

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • d2b
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Aug 2010

Ripper does not save custom tags in cache

Most custom tags are not saved in the cache after reinserting a CD into the player, Why does dBpoweramp CD Ripper fail to do this? It saves other tags (Artist, Albumartist, Composer, etc.) but it fails to recall tags such as Performer, Producer, UPC (Barcode), etc.

Deleting the cache and starting over has no effect, so please don't recommend that again.

This is not a deal breaker but it's a huge pain in the (expletive deleted by author)! Please fix this.

Thanks...

d2b
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Ripper does not save custom tags in cache

We have searched for this bug on 3 occasions and have never been able to reproduce it.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• d2b
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Spoon
      We have searched for this bug on 3 occasions and have never been able to reproduce it.
      Mr. Spoon...

I'll be as polite as I can. Your response is absurd.

First of all, we're talking about Vorbis Comments and CDs ripped to FLAC. That may be where there's a misunderstanding. Several of our custom VCs are NOT recalled when reinserting a CD for whatever reason (rip error, new tag info, etc.). Whenever a CD doesn't rip securely, it's natural and necessary to remove the CD from the computer tray to inspect it for an overlooked scratch, a dirt smudge or whatever. Sometimes I need to come back sometime in the next few days after (finally) getting the composer information corrected by the disc's publisher.

Insert a commercial CD and get ready to rip it. Add whatever metadata wasn't found via an on-line source or sources. For example, add Composers (this tag is "remembered" in the cache) if the information wasn't available on-line.

Then click on Options and scroll to the Meta Data Options and select it. Then scroll down to Custom and Fixed Value Tags. Select Add Custom Tag and create one with the field name of UPC/EAN or just call it "BARCODE." Enter an arbitrary (or actual) 12- or 13-digit number for that Vorbis Comment's "Value" and then rip the CD.

Remove the CD upon completion of the rip and then re-insert it. The BARCODE tag is not recalled, whereas the Artist and Composer tags are. This is an indication that the cache does not "remember" most if not all of our custom Vorbis Comments that were added to the resulting FLAC files when the CD was ripped. The tags are in the track files, so they weren't overlooked when ripping...they just weren't saved in the cache. Many of the custom tags created this way (Producer, Performer, UPC, etc.) need to be re-entered if it is necessary to re-rip a CD for whatever reason.

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by d2b
        Then click on Options and scroll to the Meta Data Options and select it. Then scroll down to Custom and Fixed Value Tags. Select Add Custom Tag and create one with the field name of UPC/EAN or just call it "BARCODE." Enter an arbitrary (or actual) 12- or 13-digit number for that Vorbis Comment's "Value" and then rip the CD.
        Don't use Custom and Fixed Value Tags for you own tags, I've also tried it in the past and it does not work as you (and I) were expecting. I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of Custom and Fixed Value Tags is in the Options>Meta Data & ID Tag section.

Just use the 'Add New Tag' button in the Meta section, at the bottom of CDRipper, enter the Custom tag e.g. Barcode and the value. This tag will be saved to the cache.

The problem with this solution however, is that you have to add the Custom tag for every inserted CD.
        Last edited by mville; May 20, 2013, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• d2b
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by mville
          The problem with this solution however, is that you have to add the Custom tag for every inserted CD.
          While I haven't tried the method you suggest (I presume it works as you describe), the problem you point out is troublesome and the solution error-prone, making the workflow more tedious and open to inconsistent use. We have about 10 "custom" tags that we add when ripping CDs to FLAC, with the "BARCODE" tag being just one of them. It would be far easier to ensure consistency among our users if the feature "Custom and Fixed Value Tags" worked as you and I expect. Otherwise, each user here would have to have a checklist of the required custom tag field names and then manually create the data entry field for each of those tags for each CD they're ripping. This is unnecessary extra work and, as I pointed out above, prone to typographic errors or errors of omission. It's much more convenient to have the field names for these tags appear as a fixed list at the bottom of the Meta tab window so that each user only needs to scroll down to fill in the values for each field. Custom Vorbis comments created the way we do it now are added to the track file when ripped, but the problem for us is they aren't saved in the cache along with the 'standard' Vorbis comments.

dBpoweramp CD Ripper is supposed to be the preferred premium tool for ripping CDs. It ought to be simple to include a standard list of custom tags without having to edit the interface multiple times each time someone rips a CD. Seems to me that this issue ought to be easy enough to resolve. Please fix it.

d2b
          Last edited by d2b; May 20, 2013, 09:55 PM. Reason: clearer explanation, fix typos

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by d2b
            dBpoweramp CD Ripper is supposed to be the preferred premium tool for ripping CDs. It ought to be simple to include a standard list of custom tags without having to edit the interface multiple times each time someone rips a CD.
            Agreed. IMHO, there are several issues with CDRipper that if they were addressed/implemented would make it a superb program. Currently, the user experience for me is not quite right.

Comment

• d2b
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Aug 2010

So, where does Spoon have to say about this???

d2b

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

It has been marked once more to look at.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• d2b
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Aug 2010

>>Insert a commercial CD and get ready to rip it. Add whatever metadata wasn't found via an on-line source or sources. For example, add Composers (this tag is "remembered" in the cache) if the information wasn't available on-line.

Remove the CD upon completion of the rip and then re-insert it. The BARCODE tag is not recalled, whereas the Artist and Composer tags are. This is an indication that the cache does not "remember" most if not all of our custom Vorbis Comments that were added to the resulting FLAC files when the CD was ripped. The tags are in the track files, so they weren't overlooked when ripping...they just weren't saved in the cache. Many of the custom tags created this way (Producer, Performer, UPC, etc.) need to be re-entered if it is necessary to re-rip a CD for whatever reason. <<

Thanks!

-d2b-

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

The issue is that the custom fixed value is overwriting the cache value, we will change this for the next R15 beta.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>