title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Use of ReplayGain DSP for FLAC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Desperate_dad
    • Apr 2013

Use of ReplayGain DSP for FLAC

Hi all

I am new to this forum so please do not get too frustrated with my questions if they have already been covered, I have searched for the answers but not been able to get all of them.

After several years of using iTunes to manage my music, yes I know it’s really rubbish for ripping, I have taken the plunge and bought dBpoweramp.
    My plan is to rip my 300+ CD collection to FLAC then batch convert to mp3 for use in iTunes (as I have several apple products which I am happy to manage with iTunes) and on memory sticks for my car stereo.

All my research suggests that a straight rip with only the ReplayGain DSP is the best way forward, I don’t want anything too complicated.
    My questions are to do with the ReplayGain DSP.

First am I correct in saying that this DSP only writes information to the tags and does not change the ripped data when the FLAC file is created? Is this also true if the EBU R128 Calculated Gain check box is used?

When I apply the DSP I can see that as a minimum I would want to check the first 2, Write Track Gain and Write Album Gain in an attempt to “balance” the volumes across my CD collection.
    I would also think checking the Write iTunNorm would be wanted, as I use iTunes and Apple Hardware, but I am unsure why and how it works as iTunes does not read FLAC files, as far as I know. I am assuming that the iTunNorm tag is copied over when I convert to mp3 and then it cna be used?

However my last question is the one I have struggled to find any clear answers on. EBU R128, is this an either or usage or should I check all 4 boxes? I accept that the EBU R128 may or does a better job than the Track and Album Gain calculations but which check boxes should I use? Also if I only check the EBU R128 then checking the iTunNorm will have no effect as the Album Gain has not been checked.
    Finally to confirm, the EBU R128 does not change the music data as copied from the source CD, correct? As some early posts stated that using this calculation method altered what was saved in the FLAC file and thus you did not have an exact copy of your CD.

I hope some of you can shine some light on this for me
    Thanks
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Use of ReplayGain DSP for FLAC

>First am I correct in saying that this DSP only writes information to the tags and does not change the ripped data when the FLAC file is created? Is this also true if the EBU R128 Calculated Gain check box is used?

Correct, Correct

>I am assuming that the iTunNorm tag is copied over when I convert to mp3 and then it cna be used?

You are best when converting calculating replaygain during conversion.

EBUR128 is a different calculation formula, track and album gain are still calculated.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Desperate_dad
      • Apr 2013

Spoon
      Thanks very much for the quick reply.
      So to confirm, for my initial rip to FLAC I would check all 4 boxes.
      Then when I convert from FLAC to mp3 I would check all the boxes again?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

You do not really need iTunNORM for flac, you could add it in the hope that Apple support FLAC one day.

4 checks yes.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Desperate_dad
          • Apr 2013

Spoon
          Perfect, thanks - I can now rip away to my heart's content :smile2:

Comment

Working...

]]>