title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Is there a way to look for alternative metadata?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Is there a way to look for alternative metadata?

For additional tag editing, many find mp3tag one of the most powerful standalone tag editors available (yes, it does more than just mp3, including FLAC). I use this in addition to dbpa.

Download Mp3tag, a powerful and easy-to-use tool to edit metadata of audio files

be sure to download mp3tag and not all the other download links on the page related to adds (and other software). You want the: "mp3tagv254setup.exe"

helpful forum here:

Comment

• haggis999
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Mar 2013

I downloaded MP3Tag shortly after my last post, so I know exactly what you mean about avoiding lots of other download links! It's the worst example I have seen of this form of irritating stealth selling.

It looks like a useful package but does not seem to support the less common metadata tags that are so useful for classical music, e.g. ComposerSort (i.e. Bloggs, Fred rather than Fred Bloggs), ConductorSort, ArtistSort, etc - even when such tags were set when ripping via dBpoweramp. I tested the effect of manually adding the ComposerSort tag to MP3Tag but this did not make previously saved data visible.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by haggis999
        I downloaded MP3Tag shortly after my last post, so I know exactly what you mean about avoiding lots of other download links! It's the worst example I have seen of this form of irritating stealth selling.

It looks like a useful package but does not seem to support the less common metadata tags that are so useful for classical music, e.g. ComposerSort (i.e. Bloggs, Fred rather than Fred Bloggs), ConductorSort, ArtistSort, etc - even when such tags were set when ripping via dBpoweramp. I tested the effect of manually adding the ComposerSort tag to MP3Tag but this did not make previously saved data visible.
        You need to spend more time with mp3tag. It handles all those sort tags (and more). See for example:
        Overview of all available tag fields, their names in Mp3tag, and how they are mapped to the internal structures of the different tag formats. Mp3tag is the universal Tag Editor.

Mp3tag is the universal Tag Editor. It supports editing of metadata and cover art for many different audio and video formats (MP3, MP4, FLAC, WAV, ...), file renaming, metadata import and repeatable actions.

mp3tag initially appears quite simple and plain, but you can add custom columns (right click column headings), use actions, etc. I've done a lot of tagging and I'm not aware of any more sophisticated, adaptable pure tagging program. (just as a preview, open some files in mp3tag, select one or more, right click, choose "extended tags". You'll see every tag field in that file. Anyhow, they have a helpful forum, so we should probably take any mp3tag questions to that forum rather than Spoon's dpba forum.
        Last edited by garym; March 08, 2013, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

It's the worst example I have seen of this form of irritating stealth selling.
          I forgive the author for this given that the high quality program is free and the site advertising provides at least some revenue.

Comment

• haggis999
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Mar 2013

I'm delighted to hear that I was too quick to assess perceived limitations of MP3Tag. Your first link does indeed confirm support for the tags in question. As you say, I need to spend more time playing with this software. Thanks for your help.

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

I'm delighted to hear that I was too quick to assess perceived limitations of MP3Tag. Your first link does indeed confirm support for the tags in question. As you say, I need to spend more time playing with this software. Thanks for your help.
              haggis999, check your PM (private messages here (see menu at top of this page).

Comment

• haggis999
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Mar 2013

Thanks, Gary. Have now replied to your PM.

David

Comment

Working...

]]>