title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Just Noticed 44.1 KHz, 24 bit Files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StephenJK
    • Mar 2013

Just Noticed 44.1 KHz, 24 bit Files

I've ripped all of my CD's (over 500) with dBpoweramp using AccurateRip for all. I use JRiver Media Center for playback, and was struggling today trying to get an Audioquest Dragonfly to work properly.

It was then that I noticed the input file to the player was a 44.1 KHz, 24 bit file. That shouldn't be possible, but that's what the Audio Properties say.

Here's a graphic image of the Audio Properties for one of the files. It's not a big deal, everything plays fine, but I'm certainly curious how the system is reporting a file as 24 bit. I have done conversions, but only with taking the FLAC files and doing a batch conversion to MP3 so I can install them on an iPod. Other than that, the files should be the originals that I ripped some time ago.

It's not just with the Beck album, I had a look and there are others. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

• Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Just Noticed 44.1 KHz, 24 bit Files

If you had HDCD and used the HDCD DSP effect the resulting file would be 20 bits (in a 24 bit)
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• StephenJK
      • Mar 2013

Re: Just Noticed 44.1 KHz, 24 bit Files

That's interesting, I do use the HDCD DSP, I set it many moons ago and haven't really thought about it much since. I added the Bit Depth column to JRiver, and it shows about 25 titles at 24 bit. Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.

Stephen

Comment

Working...

]]>