title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Options for non-secure ripping

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Z0001
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Mar 2011

Options for non-secure ripping

Hi

I have ripped my collection using Secure Rip to a folder called "secure" and now have a pile of CDs that did not rip securely. I want to rip these to a folder called "insecure" as best as can be achieved without going ultra secure and soending hours, i need to do it quickly. What is the best ripping method to at least get an entire rip of each problem disc whether secure or not? Should i be using burst option with accurate rip enabled? Or should I use the secure rip option and limit the re-reads and rely on the drive to interpolate, or ask dBp to interpolate? Some discs don't even get past the first track when adopting the Computeraudiphile.com CD Ripping Strategy.

My goal is to at least have an entire collection ripped by dBp, with as much of it as secure as possible and what ever can't be secure at least being interpolated so I an listen to it.

Thanks for your help.
  • bhoar
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2006

Re: Options for non-secure ripping

Originally posted by Z0001
    Hi

I have ripped my collection using Secure Rip to a folder called "secure" and now have a pile of CDs that did not rip securely. I want to rip these to a folder called "insecure" as best as can be achieved without going ultra secure and soending hours, i need to do it quickly. What is the best ripping method to at least get an entire rip of each problem disc whether secure or not? Should i be using burst option with accurate rip enabled? Or should I use the secure rip option and limit the re-reads and rely on the drive to interpolate, or ask dBp to interpolate? Some discs don't even get past the first track when adopting the Computeraudiphile.com CD Ripping Strategy.

My goal is to at least have an entire collection ripped by dBp, with as much of it as secure as possible and what ever can't be secure at least being interpolated so I an listen to it.

Thanks for your help.
    What drive are you using? What cache size? Does it support C2, and does it do so reliably? Have you tried the multiple-drive types approach?

I assume you've cleaned and polished them as much as possible? And examined them for label-side damage, which is fatal to the CD?

Note that some old CDs literally have bitrot: you can look through the discs at a light source and see pinholes or worse where the metal sputtering has oxidized away or been disrupted by some other process. The best solution for those CDs is: replace them physically or download lossless from a legal source you trust.

Brendan

Comment

• Porcus
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Feb 2007

In addition to bhoar's advice:

- The secure options might make ripping abort. If that happens, then the CD is severely damaged. A burst rip (where dBpoweramp disregards as much as possible) might be the only way it could get out any result at all. Defects might be audible and naggingly so.

- Do not ask dBpoweramp to interpolate unless there is evidence that the drive does a very bad job. Notice that dBpoweramp's option says interpolate frames (i.e. entire 75ths of a second), and I have never encountered a case where I really wanted to resort to that. Usually the drive will do a better job.

Originally posted by Z0001
      My goal is
      [...]
      as much of it as secure as possible
      Then take your time (myself I would leave a troublemaker ripping overnight if I had to) and use more than one drive. Two different drives operate slightly different, and even if one of them is 'better than the other'; on average, a different one just gives you one more chance to roll the dice and get a success.
      Last edited by Porcus; February 23, 2013, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• Z0001
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Mar 2011

Thanks. If I use secure rip with a lower number of passes will insecure tracks get interpolated? If so this seems best approach as as many secure tracks per album are captured and what is left is a residual of insecure stuff. I don't have time to leave single discs running overnight, too much admin overhead.

They are Silverstone slimline internal drives. Capture C2 but I have this disabled as not sure it is reliable. Cache at 1024 as per dbp instructions.

Thanks

Comment

• dbfan
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jan 2011

Most cd drives these days do interpolation automatically.

Comment

Working...

]]>