title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Encoded songs skipping

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wmaltby
    • Jan 2013

Encoded songs skipping

Hello.

I've got a bit of a problem. I realize that re-encoding songs isn't the best way to go about retaining audio quality, but I don't have the best speakers in the world, so I don't even notice the subtle nuances that most songs contain. However, I attempted to re-encode a couple of albums that I own so that they fit on my iPod without taking up too much space, and upon listening to them after re-encoding them, they skip in places.

Now, before, when I'd rip a CD and re-encode it (as I normally did, because I'd re-encode the tracks to free up space on my iPod), my PC would only encode them around 8-12x, but when I was re-encoding the songs a few minutes ago, they were encoding at 32x. Could that have caused them to... skip? The source files didn't skip, and when I re-encoded them a second time, they still skipped.

I'm not sure what I should do to alleviate this problem, as it IS a problem. It's very frustrating to re-encode four or five albums and have them all skip.

Thanks for your time and patience. Any information you require, I'll provide.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Encoded songs skipping

No, the speed of encode is related to the speed of your PC, the faster the pc, the quicker the encode, the end files are the same though.

You do not say what you are encoding to, I guess it is mp3, you might have to update your firmware on the ipod because Apple had issues playing non-Apple mp3 files on older firmwares.

If still no go, install the m4a (AAC Nero) codec and encode to this instead.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• wmaltby
      • Jan 2013

OK. I understand.

Well, the firmware on my iPod nano is up-to-date according to iTunes. I've owned the iPod for... oh, I'd say around five years, and this is the first time I've ever had this problem.

I'm encoding from MP3-to-MP3. I rip them from the CDs at 320kbps, but when I put them on my iPod, I re-encode them down to 128kbps. For some reason, like I said, they're skipping, which is very frustrating. I haven't actually tried to put them on my iPod and listen to them on it yet, only my computer.

The encoder I'm using is labeled as mp3 (Fraunhofer IIS) in the program, but I've also got two other ones, mp3 (helix) and mp3 (lame). I'm not even exactly sure where those ones came from. Perhaps I should try using one of those ones instead?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by wmaltby
        OK. I understand.

Well, the firmware on my iPod nano is up-to-date according to iTunes. I've owned the iPod for... oh, I'd say around five years, and this is the first time I've ever had this problem.

I'm encoding from MP3-to-MP3. I rip them from the CDs at 320kbps, but when I put them on my iPod, I re-encode them down to 128kbps. For some reason, like I said, they're skipping, which is very frustrating. I haven't actually tried to put them on my iPod and listen to them on it yet, only my computer.

The encoder I'm using is labeled as mp3 (Fraunhofer IIS) in the program, but I've also got two other ones, mp3 (helix) and mp3 (lame). I'm not even exactly sure where those ones came from. Perhaps I should try using one of those ones instead?

Thanks for your help.
        try the mp3 (lame). Many people believe that LAME is the best overall mp3 encoder to use. That's what I use for mp3 files.

Comment

• wmaltby
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by garym
          try the mp3 (lame). Many people believe that LAME is the best overall mp3 encoder to use. That's what I use for mp3 files.
          OK. I'll give that a shot.

Thanks for the help, guys. I appreciate it. I've been using this program for years now and this is the first time I've ever had this problem.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by wmaltby
            OK. I'll give that a shot.

Thanks for the help, guys. I appreciate it. I've been using this program for years now and this is the first time I've ever had this problem.
            By the way, I will say that many years ago I had some songs (mp3) that would play on my old ipods, play on my computer, but would always start and then skip to next song on my newer ipod. I worked on this problem for months and even with other people examining the technical content of the files, etc. I never found a solution other than reripping the files (which by then I was doing to lossless FLAC, then creating mp3 files for use on ipod).

Comment

Working...

]]>