title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Almost Finished But What To Do With Damaged Cds

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imcal
    • Mar 2011

Almost Finished But What To Do With Damaged Cds

Ok, i`m almost done ripping my cd collection of over 24,000+ cd`s which i have collected since the mid 80s.

What i have done is ripped them on different hard drives ie one for comps, one for cd singles and one for cdlps and a smaller drive for cds that i ripped and a error occurred getting the rip accurate, the cd which a error occurred was put in a plastic box to re-go over again this box contains roughly 500-900 cds where 1 track or more failed, ie re-rip or simply can not be ripped due to a fault on the disc etc

I purchased a professional cd repair machine the same ones you find in most game shops where you pay to get a cd sanded and polished and managed to rescue a lot of cds, but the problem is some cds are simply no longer available or can not be rescued due to small holes in the disc, i have some discs where i have managed to rip say 8 of the 10 tracks Accurately, and the other 2 tracks just simply couldn`t be ripped, is it possible to buy or track down these damaged tracks in wav or flac form or simply lifted from another cd that has that track on it, then physically remake the audio cd, if so what would i need to do, would i need to rip cue from the cd then rip the tracks into wav files then rebuild the cd, Accuraterip is important to me.

Any thoughts , ideas will be appreciated.

Tia
  • Porcus
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2007

Re: Almost Finished But What To Do With Damaged Cds

- A different CD drive might help, but of course not on those discs with holes.
    - Using different software ... you might be lucky. IIRC, they address discs slightly different, so one application could maybe get through a track (with errors) which the other simply refuses to do with any error correction.
    - If the CD rips through but with errors, then if you are so lucky that someone has submitted a good rip to the CUETools database, then this has some recovery data.

When that is done: what you are asking, is whether you can pick a certain track from, say, a compilation, and then splice it with the others into what looks like a complete CD rip? If you want to do this, then you have to carefully match the track lengths (because the compilation will likely not have the same track boundaries). Some utilities might retro-check against AccurateRip for you (PerfectTunes, CUETools) and will likely report a wrong offset on this particular track; then you can offset-correct that particular track and try again. Worth the hassle? Your decision.

Comment

Working...

]]>