title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Missing album art jpeg in mp3 files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbpowerMark
    • Dec 2012

Missing album art jpeg in mp3 files

Hello all,
    I've begun ripping my large CD collection to FLAC & mp3 with dBpoweramp R14.3 and so far have run into only one problem. About 60% of the mp3 album files are missing the .jpg album art file. Each individual track has the album art imbebed in it as expected, but without the .jpg album art file in the album file, the album art does not show up in mp3 player.
    All of the FLAC album files have the .jpg file, so I've been able to copy & paste to the missing mp3 files, but it would be nice if I didn't have to that because I have several hundred CDs to rip. Any thoughts?
    Thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Missing album art jpeg in mp3 files

The folder.jpg is missing?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dbpowerMark
      • Dec 2012

Hello Spoon.

Yes, the folder.jpg is missing from about 2/3rds of the 100 or so CDs ripped to mp3, but is present in all of the FLAC files.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Are these files on a NAS drive? seems odd how they would be there for FLAC but not for mp3.

Anyhow, install the utility codec [id tag update], there is an option to export the embedded art to folder.jpg, simply use batch converter and select the folder, filter to mp3, convert all to this [update id tag] with the export option set, should take 2 minutes to set up and 5 minutes to process.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dbpowerMark
          • Dec 2012

No, the files aren't on a NAS drive, they're on an internal HDD.
          I also though it strange that the folder.jpgs are on all FLAC files yet only on a few of the mp3s.

The utility codec [id tag update] that you suggest using is for adding the folder.jpg after the fact, correct? If so, I was hoping to come up with a solution for this anomaly so that I don't need to fix them afterwards. But if we can't figure it out, I guess it's not that big of a deal to run the id tag update.

Would the DSP effect "folder.jpg preserve" help, or is that only used for conversions?

Thanks!

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

It is an after the fact utility.

The folder.jpg preserve would not help.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• skyfish
              • Feb 2013

Hi. I've been using the trial ripper and just registered and been using it since then. Using DBpoweramp reference components throughout, have been ripping my CDs to FLAC (in a separate folder for each CD) then using the convertor to create MP3 rips from the FLAC files (in a separate folder). I convert one album at a time, not in batch. I've got the jpeg in the FLAC folder OK , and its there in the individual MP3 files also. However, some times (not every time) the separate JPEG is not appearing in the MP3 folder after conversion. That means I don't get the art in the menu on my MP3 player. Can't see why it works sometimes and not others. The ones that work have the jpeg called 'folder.jpeg' and another called'AlbumArtSmall.jpeg' and they work OK on my MP3 player. I've tried copying the 'folder.jpeg' files across and this doesn't seem to work on my MP3 player. Any thoughts? I can't see any settings in the ripper or convertor that might be stopping this working. Wondered if I have to be on-line when converting, but that sounds wrong too.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

> AlbumArtSmall.jpeg

This is coming from Windows Media player, you will want to disable that part of Windows media player (otherwise you might have a nice 800x800 album art in the mp3 and WMP comes along and replaces with 200x200).

Use the DSP effect ID Tag Processing, there is an option to export to folder.jpg, with this set the mp3 files will have folder.jpg
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• skyfish
                  • Feb 2013

Many thanks for the advice. It turned out to be three different things:
                  1. The DSP effect setting to export to folder.jpg. I've set it like you said and it works fine now.
                  2. I used to use Media Player to rip CDs and move the actual ripped folders out of 'My Music'. I already had Media Player set not to mess about with the files. But the library database was still there and I think DBP picked up those files. I've deleted the MP library so that will stop that for good.
                  3. My MP3 player doesn't like jpegs bigger than around 100k. It is a Sansa Fuze. Very nice sound but quirky.
                  After a lot of cleaning up everything is lovely.

Comment

Working...

]]>