title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Rip hangs during encoding (on one track only)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonM
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Nov 2008

Rip hangs during encoding (on one track only)

I was trying to rip a newly acquired CD (Bucky Pizzarelli and Frank Vignola, Moonglow) and the rip hangs during encoding on the first track, at 99%. I've been able to rip the remaining tracks (the CD is in Accurate Rip), but no matter what I try can't do the first one. I've tried secure ripping, and the rip itself proceeds all right but again hangs during encoding (but at 96%). The rips are to flac; haven't tried MP3, but perhaps I will.

Suggestions?

R.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Rip hangs during encoding (on one track only)

Try ripping to Test encoder, does it hang?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• RonM
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Nov 2008

I don't seem to have a Test Encoder option, only a Test Conversion.

Meanwhile, very strange things have happened.

As noted, dBp hangs during the encoding routine on the first track, although I was able to successfully rip all the other tracks after having forced a restart of dBp. After doing that I tried the first track again, and this time it hung completely, and I could not cancel the rip or close dBp. While dBp was trying to cancel the rip, I opened Winamp with a view to trying to rip the track from there. Before I did that tried to force a close of dBp from Task Manager, but ended up forcing a shutdown of my system because I could not get dBp to close.

Upon restart, I checked the target folder for the rip and found that the first track was there. Hmm. I clicked to play it, and it opened in Winamp (my default player), and showed that only the first 26 seconds were there. Winamp proceeded to play these 26 seconds, over and over. Winamp also told me that my library was empty, likely due to corruption of the db files. Nothing to do but rebuild the db, which I started. Once that was started, I lost control of the player, which continued to play those 26 seconds. Over and over. Until the rebuild was done and I had access to its controls.

Once that was out of the way, I tried to rip the track again from dBp, but the same thing happened, hung during encoding of the first track. Again, I couldn't close dBp and had to force a reboot (this time after closing Winamp first!).

I then tried to rip the track from WMA, which did the rip and saved it in WMA lossless, but hung at that point (I was able to play the file); Winamp was able to rip to flac without any difficulties. Meantime, I had decided there was probably something awry with the track on the disk, and had found the track on HDTracks in flac, so bought it. A waste of $1.49, as it turned out.

So I have everything in order, after a couple of hours of fiddling. Be happy to test the rip some more, but as noted I don't have the test encoder. Is that a recent add, and I just haven't got it yet?

R.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Sorry I meant Test Conversion.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>