title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Plextor Premium 2 vs Plextor PX-230A

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thg6276
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Aug 2008

Plextor Premium 2 vs Plextor PX-230A

Bonjour,

I have the intention to rip all my collection of cds.

But I am searching the good strategy for doing this !

I have a Plextor Premium 2 and a Plextor PX-230A

Characteristics

Plextor Premium 2

Clear Read Cache With FUA YES
    C2 Error Pointer YES
    Read Lead IN / Read Lead Out YES

Plextor PX-230A

Clear Read Cache With FUA NO
    C2 Error Pointer YES
    Read Lead IN / Read Lead Out NO

The Plextor Premium 2 has Clear Read Cache With FUA and Read Lead IN / Read Lead Out where PX-230A has not.

I know that PX-230A seems better than Premium 2 for detecting and correct errors found.

So what is the best :

AA) To rip all cds with Plextor PX-230A
    BB) To rip with Premium 2 and to use PX-230A when tracks are inacurrate.

I don't know if Clear Read Cache With FUA and Read Lead IN / Read Lead Out is very important to use in fact.

Thanks for your usual help.
    Thierry
  • pablogm123
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2012

Re: Plextor Premium 2 vs Plextor PX-230A

Plextor Premium 2 is a real Plextor drive, based on Sanyo chipset, which supports D8 and ReadCD command.

PX-230 isn't, is a BenQ drive actually, based on ALi chipset, which only supports ReadCD.

As first resource, I would use the Premium 2 drive, at 24x speed (I own real Plextor drives, and error correction is better at 24x than 4x/8x), because if you are a perfectionist you will want to preserve all data (however, the vast majority of CDs doesn't contain data until the very end of disc, and you will lose nothing anyway).

Then, for problematic CDs (when dBpoweramp has to re-rip frames), if Accuraterip cannot verify them, I would rip the suspicious tracks with the PX-230. If agrees with Premium 2 drive, all OK. If not, and dBpoweramp reports unrecoverable frames for both drives, perhaps you need to resurface that CD to get a flawless rip.

In general, you are ripping only CDs in good/excellent shape and you own very decent drives, hardly ever dBpoweramp will have to re-rip frames, because data is extracted without CU errors.

Comment

• Thg6276
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Aug 2008

Re: Plextor Premium 2 vs Plextor PX-230A

Thank you very much for your answer

Comment

Working...

]]>