title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

FAILS: BEN HARPER - Diamonds on the inside

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xTobix
    • Oct 2011

FAILS: BEN HARPER - Diamonds on the inside

Hi Spoon,

I have now bought my second "Ben Harper - Diamonds on the inside" CD because the first one was quite scratched and I thought it was the cause of the errors. Far away
    Tracks 2,4,8,11, & 14 of 14 tracks ripped with no C2 error and are Accurate Rip confirmed.
    All the other tracks return exactly the same C2 errors, yes, same position, same number of frames! A big thanks to Virgin Records for there copy protection - buggers!

Can you give me some advice on how to tackle this using the 'Defective by Design' ripping method? I recon enabling the interpolate C2 errors option for the misbehaving tracks would be the way forward, right?

BTW: good job with new 14.3 release!
    THX

EDIT: I have tried to rip it just as described above. The results are horrible - it sounds like a hundred scratches per track! Any good advice is much appreciated!
    Last edited by xTobix; September 15, 2012, 08:27 AM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: FAILS: BEN HARPER - Diamonds on the inside

You can never get an error free rip on defective discs, as the errors are intentionally put into the disc.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• xTobix
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Spoon
      You can never get an error free rip on defective discs, as the errors are intentionally put into the disc.
      Thanks, I am aware of this since I have read other topics in this forum. However, I was hoping there is a way to get most of the music extracted and the (pseudo)errors interpolated. But this didn't work.

Asking Bing, lead me to this place:
      Are you trying to copy your favorite album to your computer, but the copy protection keeps screwing things up? Luckily, there is software available that can help you bypass these restrictions. See below to learn how to copy any CD, from...

Following these instructions provided a much better audible result. In fact, on a first galnce I am not able to hear any glitches.

I have generated four copies of the CD with these two devices:
      D1 = TEAC DV-W28E about 9 years old, C2 support
      D2 = MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8A2ES about 1.5 years old, C2 not support
      With these settings:
      D1_V1: standard IsoBuster settings
      D1_V2: IsoBuster settings in >>Options>>Communication>>Read Settings were set to max retries for Multiple blocks and Single blocks both to 6 (max)
      D2_V1: standard IsoBuster settings
      D2_V2: IsoBuster settings in >>Options>>Communication>>Read Settings were set to max retries for Multiple blocks and Single blocks both to 6 (max)
      NOTE: for the V2 both devices were operated with fixed drive speed at there lowest speed by using Joern Fiebelkorn's CD Throttle v1.49

In the following I have used Foobar2k + bit comparison plugin returning the following results:
      __________________________________________________ _________________________

Comparing wave from D1_V1 vs D2_V1:
      Differences found in 14 out of 14 track pairs.

Comparing wave from D1_V2 vs D2_V2:
      Differences found in 14 out of 14 track pairs.

Comparing wave from D1_V1 vs D1_V2:
      All tracks decoded fine, no differences found.

Comparing wave from D2_V1 vs D2_V2:
      All tracks decoded fine, no differences found.

Obviously each drive is consistent but they both produce something different. I have a third external drive, an old Plextor, with which it is impossible to extract the CD. I will try to get a new external drive (in the next two weeks) and see how they perform. Results from a careful listening test of all the audio files will be provided ASAP.

PS: some spam was faster than I ;-)

Comment

• eaglescout1998
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Apr 2009

For what it's worth, I have had some success ripping copy protected discs by turning off C2 error detection.

Comment

Working...

]]>