title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripping an old CD-R

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mickc
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Sep 2010

Ripping an old CD-R

Hi - I'm trying to rip a CD-R which was a friend's band's first release, from eight years ago. It shows errors on some tracks but as it's not in AccurateRip it has no comparison. I get this for each track with errors:-

Does this mean that, although errors were found, the rip was secure? I can't find this exact display in the online help, although I can find similar ones.

Thanks

Mick
  • eaglescout1998
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Apr 2009

Re: Ripping an old CD-R

"Secure (Warning)" -- the green "i" -- simply means that individual frames had to be re-ripped. Depending on the condition of the disc and the accuracy of your ripping drive, you probably don't have much to worry about. Still, there is always a possibility that a consistent read error might have slipped through. This is where C2 pointers help (assuming your drive supports it).

Since the disc in question is not in the AccurateRip database, I would personally try re-ripping the track, maybe with a different drive, and try to get a "Secure" (the green check mark) rip.

Comment

• mickc
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Sep 2010

Re: Ripping an old CD-R

Originally posted by eaglescout1998
      "Secure (Warning)" -- the green "i" -- simply means that individual frames had to be re-ripped. Depending on the condition of the disc and the accuracy of your ripping drive, you probably don't have much to worry about. Still, there is always a possibility that a consistent read error might have slipped through. This is where C2 pointers help (assuming your drive supports it).

Since the disc in question is not in the AccurateRip database, I would personally try re-ripping the track, maybe with a different drive, and try to get a "Secure" (the green check mark) rip.
      Hi - thanks for that. I think I'll leave it as it is - with the drive I initially tried I got three or four errors per track on around half the tracks. When I tried it on each of the other two the errors were in the hundreds! My drives don't support C2 unfortunately, otherwise I'd have tried that too.
      I've listened via my DS and can't hear anything obvious on the problematic files, and they're not the best sounding recordings anyway.

Mick

Comment

Working...

]]>