title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Renaming Folders

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PedroT99
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2012

Renaming Folders

I have a quick question on folder naming. Is there a problem with renaming an album or artist folder in Windows. The reason, I ask is I know that dBp changes colons to semicolons for the purposes of file-naming but intelligently keeps the colon in the tag. I don't like the way the semicolon looks in the folder...I'd rather use dashes.

For example... "Operation: Mindcrime" has become "Operation; Mindcrime"
    I'd prefer the album folder says "Operation - Mindcrime"

My choices are...
    - Use a dash when ripping and then change the TAG to include a colon as the artist intended........or........
    - Let dBp turn the colon into a semicolon and then change the name of the FOLDER to include a dash.

I'm not sure if it matters but I don't want to "confuse" the file path it it doesn't recognize the folder name.

Thanks!
  • eaglescout1998
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Apr 2009

Re: Renaming Folders

I think this is what you want:

Under Options, under Meta Data, click on "File Name Restricted Characters."

Comment

• PedroT99
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jul 2012

Oh wow! I didn't know that option was there. I will look at that. As for the things that I have already ripped, can I change the names of file folders or will it screw up the file path? Specifically...if I go back and change semicolons to dashes?

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by PedroT99
        Oh wow! I didn't know that option was there. I will look at that. As for the things that I have already ripped, can I change the names of file folders or will it screw up the file path? Specifically...if I go back and change semicolons to dashes?
        shouldn't cause any problems. most players are using tags, NOT file names. However, if you've created playlists, and those playlists point to certain files, and you change the names of those files, the playlist won't be able to find the files (with the new names). But otherwise, it is the TAGS that matter, not file name.

Comment

Working...

]]>