title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Artist with "The" prefix e.g. "The National"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wytco0
    • Dec 2006

Artist with "The" prefix e.g. "The National"

I am trying to rip a CD by The National called Alligator, for some reason DBpoweramp insists on saving the artist tag as "National, The", I want it to be "The National", I can't find any setting to change this behaviour and I have not had this problem before and I have many other artist called The something.

Could you let me know how to get DBpoweram to save the Artist name correctly?

Thanks
    Last edited by wytco0; August 07, 2012, 09:55 PM.
  • matt_t
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Feb 2008

Re: Artist with "The" prefix e.g. "The National"

Options -> Meta Data -> Meta Data & ID Tag -> [Options] -> uncheck "Replace 'The [artist]' with '[artist], The'

should do the trick.

Comment

• wytco0
      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by matt_t
      Options -> Meta Data -> Meta Data & ID Tag -> [Options] -> uncheck "Replace 'The [artist]' with '[artist], The'

should do the trick.
      Yes thats what I did, but I have more than 30 other CDs all ripped with DBpoweramp with Artists starting "The" and I didn't have to do that for any of them. Its been a while since I did any ripping so I am assuming that something has changed fairly recently. I don't like having to edit tags if its possible to avoid it.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by wytco0
        Yes thats what I did, but I have more than 30 other CDs all ripped with DBpoweramp with Artists starting "The" and I didn't have to do that for any of them. Its been a while since I did any ripping so I am assuming that something has changed fairly recently. I don't like having to edit tags if its possible to avoid it.
        the suggested setting is not something you have to change each time you rip. It is a setting that "sticks". Nothing has changed in my install on this issue (and I'm using latest version, 14.2). But perhaps you accidentally checked the "replace the artist with artist, the" when you were on the options page.

Also, probably not your issue, but make sure you haven't added an "artistsort" tag that is the "artist, the" and you're seeing the artist listed in a player that way. But I think you're asking about the file directory itself for the ARTIST, not the tag?

Comment

• wytco0
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by garym
          the suggested setting is not something you have to change each time you rip. It is a setting that "sticks". Nothing has changed in my install on this issue (and I'm using latest version, 14.2). But perhaps you accidentally checked the "replace the artist with artist, the" when you were on the options page.

Also, probably not your issue, but make sure you haven't added an "artistsort" tag that is the "artist, the" and you're seeing the artist listed in a player that way. But I think you're asking about the file directory itself for the ARTIST, not the tag?
          Ok Silly me I didn't read matt_t's advice properly.

Thanks Matt and Gary, problem sorted.

Comment

• wytco0
            • Dec 2006

Just found that this does not seem to work for the folder name when using dynamic naming, the album title and tracks all show correctly but the folder gets named as "National, Th"e instead of "The National".

I have only just noticed this and I don't think it used to happen but I have not done any rips for some time.

Comment

• RadicalDad
              • Jan 2011

This appears to be a bug - or perhaps a bug that is now fixed but many of us like the old functionality.

The problem is indeed Options -> Meta Data -> Meta Data & ID Tag -> [Options] -> "Replace 'The [artist]' with '[artist], The'

In R14, the option was there and was checked by default, but it didn't do anything.
              In R14.2, the functionality (or lack thereof) was the same as R14. (Never installed R14.1)
              In R14.3, suddently this checkbox is working, only many of us are surprised by it and don't like it.

I currently have 14.2 loaded on one machine and 14.3 loaded on a second machine, so it is easy to see that the functionality of the checkbox doesn't work in 14.2 but does in 14.3.

I cannot verify that unchecking the box works as it should in 14.3 because I can't get rid of the history on already ripped CDs.

Spoon, you should look into this and fix it.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

If we have previously fixed a bug, and it now works as it should, how can we fix it more?
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• RadicalDad
                  • Jan 2011

Hi Spoon -

Just getting back to this now. Apologies if my previous response was in any way offensive. The "surprise" about this suddenly working in 14.3 is related to having this option turned on as the default during install. Who looks at defaults or tries to understand what they really mean when the program is doing things you want it to do? Thus I (and apparently others) were sent on a head-scratching round of research trying to understand why a default setting is suddenly doing something different than it used to. Doesn't help that the change log makes no reference to this bug fix. And to add to the confusion (not of your making), Sonos handles a leading "the" inconsistently, removing it in artist names, leaving it in track names. And iTunes handles it yet another way (always removing a leading "the" for alphabetic and search purposes in all tags). All of these factors made for a frustrating hour of head scratching when all I really wanted to do was rip some CDs and play them while I finished unpacking from my 3 months at school abroad.

Here is the possible bug that may still be with us. I did a rip of an artist group named The Diwan Project. In 14.2 this wasn't a problem. In 14.3 it came out "Diwan Project, The" for both the artist name and folder name where the rips were placed. Oops, didn't want that. So I researched the issue, deleted the folder, unchecked the box, and put the CD back in the drive to rip again. Still comes up as "Diwan Project, The" in the artist field. Maybe this is coming from the metadata cache, not sure. Refresh the metadata, but no change to the artist name. Manually changed the artist name to "The Diwan Project." Start the rip, but canceled after one song because I notice the album artwork is missing, which has to be manually added. (Why it wasn't there from the cache, I can't say. Deleted by the metadata refresh?) HERE IS THE POSSIBLE BUG: Went to delete the folder, and found it was still named "Diwan Project, The." Hmmm. Delete it anyway. Start the rip again. This time the folder gets named "The Diwan Project." Double hmmm.

I think wytco0 is complaining about the incorrect folder name. My experience suggests that dbpoweramp is inconsistent about how it names the folder in these cases, and that is what I thought you should look into. It is hard for me to test this since most of us have very few CDs to rip where the artist name starts with "the." Nor do I know how to delete the metadata cache in order to test this further.

Comment

Working...

]]>