title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Group opinion on naming....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PedroT99
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2012

Group opinion on naming....

Hey guys,
    I have question and I'm curious of other peoples take on this. I have seen a few threads on Hydrogenaudio on this....wanted the opinion of the dBp crowd.

It seems like when naming title tracks, there are a few routes people go on capitalization.
    - some people type the track titles EXACTLY the way the album cover lists the tracks...all caps, first letter of each word in caps, etc.
    - other people use "proper" English and just change the caps to standard English.

No problems and nothing important...just curious of your take.
  • PedroT99
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2012

Re: Group opinion on naming....

Also....if I want to change the spelling/caps later, it appears I can just alter the tags and it will appear how I then want it. I don't need to/shouldn't change the file name right? It appears the file name has little bearing on how anything is viewed in various media players. Dumb question: I'm guessing I want the file name to continue to match the name of the file that exists in the extraction log, right?

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Filenames are not normally used by audio players.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

my filenames are generally tracknumber - track name

01 - Bloody Mary Morning
        02 - Phases and Stages
        etc.

(and each album is in its own subdirectory).
        filename is mostly irrelevant as players use tags. I'm not worried about file name capitalization, etc. but I certainly do want the name to mostly match the tag name and be in the correct album subdirectory.

Comment

• Porcus
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by PedroT99
          Dumb question: I'm guessing I want the file name to continue to match the name of the file that exists in the extraction log, right?
          Depends on what you need the extraction log for. Myself I am perfectly satisfied with one that says that Track 01 is OK, Track02 is OK etc, and it is also a bonus that I know which album the log belongs to (but then the ACCURATERIPDISCID is both in log and tag).

Myself I rename based on tags if it got something wrong. One folder per physical CD, and then Artist {Year} ¨ Album ¨ Tracknumber ¨ Title (notice that the separator is not the hyphen, but a character I don't find in tags) -- then if I accidentally move a file, I know where it belongs.

Comment

Working...

]]>