title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Changing Meta Data

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PedroT99
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2012

Changing Meta Data

I'm finding that the Meta Data as far as featured artists on Hip Hop albums is often incomplete and not the same as the album states.

Does it matter if I make those changes before or after ripping?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Changing Meta Data

It is easier to do before ripping, as the files are named from the metadata.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• PedroT99
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jul 2012

Ok....I was reading old posts and a guy asked if he could run albums he ripped on EAC through dBp to retag his metadata...you said no. What if it was previously ripped through dBp?

I didn't see the Review Meta Data button...or didn't bother to click it until now. Is that meant to be reviewed per-rip? Im thinking it is. Several of my CDs were tagged as Rap and I would like to recategorize them as Hip-Hop. Can I do that without re-ripping?

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by PedroT99
        Ok....I was reading old posts and a guy asked if he could run albums he ripped on EAC through dBp to retag his metadata...you said no. What if it was previously ripped through dBp?

I didn't see the Review Meta Data button...or didn't bother to click it until now. Is that meant to be reviewed per-rip? Im thinking it is. Several of my CDs were tagged as Rap and I would like to recategorize them as Hip-Hop. Can I do that without re-ripping?
        you can always change the metadata without rerippping. Use the ID TAG UPDATE dsp within dpba, or use mp3tag, etc. Load up the "rap" albums, select them all, and change GENRE from rap to hip-hop. You can do this in bulk with batch convert and ID TAG UPDATE, but you can also just find the files in question, select them all, and right click, then you should see "EDIT ID TAG" as one of your options (if you setup dbpa to work this way)

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

he meant you can't *automatically* do this. That is, dbpa isn't going to go out and look for correct metadata and replace the incorrect metadata. But as I posted above, you can manually change the metadata anytime you want. Also, you do realize I hope that you personally can change the metadata (tags) to anything you want while you are ripping. Just before you rip, on that screen you can change genre, title, artist, album artist, etc. That is the best time to actually do the changes, although you can always change later to with any tag editor.

Comment

• Porcus
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Feb 2007

If you use the dBpoweramp CD _ripper_, then get the metadata right before hitting the Rip button.
            If you wish to change metadata _after_ ripping, then do not use the ripping application -- use tagging software dBpoweramp supports tag editing, at least my paid Reference version does, but don't use the _ripper_ for that.

Except that you won't get GD3/Allmusic metadata automatically; then you need to insert the CD and rip again. It is possible to copy tags if you do not want to overwrite your original audio (e.g. if the disc has become destroyed in the meantime).

Comment

• PedroT99
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Jul 2012

Thanks guys. It's pretty safe to says it s best to do this first. I see how you can change tags by selecting multiple songs on an album, right clicking and such. Pretty easy. I just changed Allman Brothers from Pop to Southern Rock doing this. Whonwould call them Pop/Rock? LOL.

I do have a couple of questions about ID Tag Update.

I don't see that on my list but there is ID TAG PROCESSING. Same thing?

What are the advantages to using is vs. what just did by simply selecting all songs and right clicking?
              Can I leave this effect loaded all the time while ripping? I only ask because some DSP obviously affect the rip.
              Also, you said to "load Up the rap albums" to convert genre. I'm not sure how to load the albums. Are up talking about putting the discs back in or pulling up my current flac files? I don't see a button to load or open current files.

Comment

• PedroT99
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Jul 2012

One other question....are the results from manually changing meta after ripping (simply righ clicking) identical to doing it in dBp prior to ripping? In other words, does dBp make other changes or save that info anywhere else?

There is no reason to re-rip anything in which I don't like selected genre or formatting of track names is there???

thanks!!

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

One other question....are the results from manually changing meta after ripping (simply righ clicking) identical to doing it in dBp prior to ripping? In other words, does dBp make other changes or save that info anywhere else?

There is no reason to re-rip anything in which I don't like selected genre or formatting of track names is there???

thanks!!
                  yes, results from manual change are the same. and no reason to rerip just because you change metadata.

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Thanks guys. It's pretty safe to says it s best to do this first. I see how you can change tags by selecting multiple songs on an album, right clicking and such. Pretty easy. I just changed Allman Brothers from Pop to Southern Rock doing this. Whonwould call them Pop/Rock? LOL.

I do have a couple of questions about ID Tag Update.

I don't see that on my list but there is ID TAG PROCESSING. Same thing?

What are the advantages to using is vs. what just did by simply selecting all songs and right clicking?
                    Can I leave this effect loaded all the time while ripping? I only ask because some DSP obviously affect the rip.
                    Also, you said to "load Up the rap albums" to convert genre. I'm not sure how to load the albums. Are up talking about putting the discs back in or pulling up my current flac files? I don't see a button to load or open current files.

id tag update is a dsp you use in dbpa batch converter, not in the ripper program. You don't need to use id tag processing dsp during ripping. Just type into the boxes what you want. For example, if you want to change genre, just highlight all the tracks in the ripper screen, and up at the top where the field contains GENRE (i.e., rap) just use your keyboard to delete Rap and type in hip hop. I think you are trying to make this harder than it is. Do some playing around and experimenting to see how things work. It won't break anything. ;-)

When I say load up, I do NOT mean loading the CD itself into the ripper program. I mean going on your harddrive to where the FLAC files are located, highlighting them (select) then right click and you should be able to manually edit ID tags from there....

Comment

Working...

]]>