title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Conversion to mp3?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PedroT99
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2012

Conversion to mp3?

If I do all my ripping (for archival) to flac, what is the "best" format for portable use. It will be on an iPod and iPad. Mp3? Anything better?

What is the best player for flac? I was going to use Winamp? Good idea?

As for the mp3s (assuming that is what I go with), should I just use Windows media player on my pc and iTunes on my iPad? I not sure I even have other options on the iPad?

Thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Conversion to mp3?

Which bitrate are you planning to use? anything above 225Kbps and mp3 and aac are quite similar.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• PedroT99
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jul 2012

I'm not sure what bitrate...had not made it that far? I just want a format that will work well on an iPod, sounds good and won't take up too much space. Is there an advantage to AAC over mp3? What bitrate do you like knowing those criteria?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

For an iPod walking about I would use VBR -v4, good ratio of filesize to quality.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by PedroT99
          If I do all my ripping (for archival) to flac, what is the "best" format for portable use. It will be on an iPod and iPad. Mp3? Anything better?

What is the best player for flac? I was going to use Winamp? Good idea?

As for the mp3s (assuming that is what I go with), should I just use Windows media player on my pc and iTunes on my iPad? I not sure I even have other options on the iPad?

Thanks!
          winamp works well, easy to use, plays FLAC. I like foobar2000 as well. I use foobar2000 (with Facets component) on my computer for main playback. But I also keep a lossy version of all my files and point iTunes to that music directory (and use this for my iphones, ipods, ipad). I would AVOID using Windows Media Player at all. It does weird things to tags, art, etc. (sometimes even when you have set it to not touch your file tags/artwork).

Comment

• PedroT99
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jul 2012

I have heard that about Win Media Player...I'll stay away. I just downloaded winamp and a going to use that.

I appreciate your insight!

Comment

• Porcus
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by garym
              winamp works well, easy to use, plays FLAC. I like foobar2000 as well. I use foobar2000 (with Facets component) on my computer for main playback. But I also keep a lossy version of all my files and point iTunes to that music directory (and use this for my iphones, ipods, ipad). I would AVOID using Windows Media Player at all. It does weird things to tags, art, etc. (sometimes even when you have set it to not touch your file tags/artwork).
              Yep, WMP is a major saboteur. So much that you could consider putting your mp3s (and other filetypes that WMP identify as audio) in e.g. a .7z archive (where WMP cannot read them) and use foo_unpack_7z.

Myself I don't have WMP. Well I don't know if I can remove it completely from this Windows version, but I haven't set it up and haven't accepted the EULA, so when I accidentally start it, I can hit Cancel.

Comment

Working...

]]>