title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Some rips are very slow (0.2x)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stephen_Zero
    • Jun 2012

Some rips are very slow (0.2x)

I've been ripping my CD collection to FLAC and am most of the way through. I've been following the guidelines and things are going pretty well in general - great software - thanks! However, about 1 in 20 CDs rumble along at 0.2x and then either run out of time or I cancel the rip. I've been setting these aside to deal with later. What should I do? Most of the CDs appear to be in excellent condition, by the way.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Some rips are very slow (0.2x)

The CD drive self decides what to rip at, some drives (such as Opticarc) drop to this speed 0.2x, others maintain their speed.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• eaglescout1998
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Apr 2009

If you have C2 enabled, you might try re-ripping these problem discs with C2 turned off. Some drives have poor (or non-existent) C2 support. With my LG Blu-Ray burner, I have to have C2 turned off because it reports too many false positives.

Comment

• Stephen_Zero
        • Jun 2012

The CD drive normally rips at a reasonable speed. I've done a few hundred CDs now. It's just that a minority of CDs rip at a tediously slow speed and there appears to be something wrong. These are the ones that I've set aside.

I have disabled C2.

Are there any other changes I can make to the settings to get these ripped? (They include some of my favourites)

Comment

• Porcus
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Feb 2007

Under the Options menus, you can change the time dBpoweramp allows a track to rip before aborting. You can set it to never abort, and leave a CD overnight.

I can but guess: CD drives spin down according to certain parameters. Uneven CDs (slightly inhomogeneous mass distribution, or slightly off-center hole) might be one reason. If these rules are not well-tweaked, it could lead to unreasonable results.

I don't think that C2 is the issue, unless you get many frames to re-read.

Comment

• eaglescout1998
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Apr 2009

If you have access to a second CD drive, I would try ripping these problem CDs with it. I keep two CD drives in my desktop for this very reason. If one drive doesn't want to rip one of my CDs, the second one will.

One other thing I would suggest is to carefuly inspect the disc surface. If there are no scratches or fingerprints, hold the CD up to a strong light. If any light shines through several pin-*****-sized holes, you may have to replace the disc.

Comment

• Stephen_Zero
              • Jun 2012

Thanks all. I'll try leaving overnight tonight. If no joy, then I'll borrow another drive.

Comment

• Woodsman
                • Mar 2012

I have the same problem. But it seems to be happening on all my cd's, the problem only started after i upgraded to the full paid version.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

See:

Q. My CD drive is ripping very slowly? A. Try ripping to Test Conversion (set to no speed limit), this rules out a slow encoder, an average CD drive might start at x10 and get to x25 for the last CD track (the x speed can be seen on the tool bar whilst ripping). If the speed is obviously slow, around x2 and your computer seems
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Stephen_Zero
                    • Jun 2012

So, I set the options to 'never abort' and left the CD a few hours today. I just looked at it again and the three tracks it got through in 5 hours have insecure rip errors against them.

There are no holes in the disc, it's pretty new, and the controller is SATA (i.e. with no DMA/PIO option).

Any ideas before I borrow/buy another drive?

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Stephen_Zero
                      So, I set the options to 'never abort' and left the CD a few hours today. I just looked at it again and the three tracks it got through in 5 hours have insecure rip errors against them.

There are no holes in the disc, it's pretty new, and the controller is SATA (i.e. with no DMA/PIO option).

Any ideas before I borrow/buy another drive?
                      i've had brand new, just out of the case CDs with no apparent problems that refuse to rip. First step is to try and rip on a different machine or a different disk drive. Sometimes that helps.

Comment

• Stephen_Zero
                        • Jun 2012

So far so good on a different machine/drive. Thanks all

Comment

Working...

]]>