title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

A real head-scratcher

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atrocity
    • Apr 2012

A real head-scratcher

First off, I've been a very happy dBpoweramp customer for years, so this is in no way a criticism, just something that really confuses me.

Got a used CD yesterday. No visible damage. Fired up dBpoweramp and successfully ripped the first 15 of the 16 tracks. Track 16 gave it fits, needing to re-rip 10,000+ sectors. It ran all night and into this morning, finally concluding with an inaccurate rip. Listening to the track revealed some very obvious problems.

Played the offending track off the CD in Foobar2000, just curious what would happen if it got played normally. No audible problems at all.

So, knowing I wouldn't get any error correction, I used Foobar2000 to rip the track. The results were even worse than what dBpoweramp produced. Very obvious audible problems for what I think was an even longer stretch.

Having nothing to lose, I tried the same track in Exact Audio Copy. Instant perfection the first time through, AccurateRip verified, blah blah blah. Couldn't believe it. Since I had forgotten to turn on logging, I did it again with the log turned on and got the same happy results. Listening to the track revealed no problems at all.

I've never seen that before...in desperate past situations I've tried EAC for tracks that dBpoweramp didn't like, but it's always been a waste of time--if dBpa can't read it accurately, neither can EAC. I'm at a complete loss and am wondering if maybe something's actually intermittently wrong with my drive but just coincidentally worked when I used EAC.

OK, prior to posting I just tried the same track again in dBpoweramp...and it worked perfectly on the first attempt. Must be the drive. But it still seems really odd. Or something about the disc is really, really temperature sensitive. Or it's the phase of the moon...
  • eaglescout1998
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Apr 2009

Re: A real head-scratcher

Here is a tip: If you notice that over 10,000 frames need to be re-ripped, just skip the track. Leaving it to run overnight is a foolish waste of time as you're not going to get an accurate rip. The next time this happens, just skip the track and try again. You might use a second disc drive, if you have one.

Comment

• dbfan
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jan 2011

It is possible you have c2 pointers on, try disabling for that disc

Comment

• atrocity
        • Apr 2012

eaglescout1998: It probably sounds crazy, but I've had mega-frame rerips ultimately coming up accurate in the end. Can't swear that I have had it happen with 10,000+, though.

*********: As a matter of fact, CD pointers were on...both when it had trouble and when it worked. I've used the drive a few times since and it seems to be behaving normally. Oh well, just one of those things.

Thank you both.

Comment

• Porcus
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by atrocity
          eaglescout1998: It probably sounds crazy, but I've had mega-frame rerips ultimately coming up accurate in the end. Can't swear that I have had it happen with 10,000+, though.

*********: As a matter of fact, CD pointers were on...both when it had trouble and when it worked. I've used the drive a few times since and it seems to be behaving normally. Oh well, just one of those things.

Thank you both.
          My personal record is 13899: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...ll=1*post83383

Comment

• eaglescout1998
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Apr 2009

Okay, so I misspoke. Still, if it were me, I would just skip the track and try again.

Comment

Working...

]]>