title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

does DBpoweramp keep the added value quality of XRCD or GOld Cds, etc?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiojim
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jan 2012

does DBpoweramp keep the added value quality of XRCD or GOld Cds, etc?

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but back in the day I sometimes purchased XRCDs and a couple gold Cds which were much much more expensive than regular CDs. NOw, my question is, was the enhanced quality basically the result of mastering and not something physically inherent about the CD itself, and therefore is the accurate, secure copy fully capturing the quality of these higher quality Cds. I am geussing the answer must be yes (in which case, was the gold color just BS).
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: does DBpoweramp keep the added value quality of XRCD or GOld Cds, etc?

yes, potentially better mastered, but accurate rip with dbpa captures it all. And I hope you already knew the gold color didn't add anything of value....

Comment

• audiojim
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by garym
      yes, potentially better mastered, but accurate rip with dbpa captures it all. And I hope you already knew the gold color didn't add anything of value....
      Dear GaryM,

I have always thought it was odd to somehow claim that GOLD made a CD sound better, but they do, apparently claim that:

"The gold surface on the cd gave MFSLthe ability to record in much more detail that on a traditional CD, thus giving the company the ability to make a CD sound like a perfect LP..................the gold allowed the recording studio to do things they never were capable of doing before. In particular, the surface created the ability for MFSL to record a very large amount of data on the CD. "

That's from this site based on two minutes research: http://twincitiesvalue.hubpages.com/hub/mfslgoldcd

Now, do you computer ripping gurus believe that 1) this is BS, that the bits etc. where there in any conventional CD format and so Gold made no difference, and the company was simply mistaken in these claims (or doing BS marketing)

or 2) that there may have been some enhanced information recorded by the Gold technique AND the dbpoweramp ripping will copy and retain that perfectly.

Again, to be clear, a) I am NOT referring to SQ benefits from the mastering per se which would presumably be evident on any kind of CD. b) Also, to be clear, we are not, I don't think, discussing "hi-res" CDs and c) this Gold technique was not analagous to the hdcd process that somehow encoded something extra in the basic cd format .

does Mr Spoon have a definitive dbpoweramp view on those two questions>?

Comment

• audiojim
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jan 2012

Just noticed this "comment" on that web site I linked to above:

"Brian 12 months ago

There is a common school of thought that the Gold cd was just a marketing gimmick. The belief is that the care taken with the mastering process does more for the MFSL sound than the media onto which the music is pressed."

but i still want to hear from you horses' mouths.....'

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

seems like marketing BS to me (the gold, not the better mastering). But I'm happy for evidence to the contrary from those with more expertise. I'm highly skeptical.

Comment

• audiojim
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jan 2012

RE XRCD, a website says:

All of the xrcds this time utilize the new xrcd24 process JVC has developed to further enhance their perfectionist xrcd approach. While continuing to release final 44.1 CDs that play in any CD player without a special decoder of any sort, the process concentrates on improvements in the hardware used in mastering and pressing. A key advance in the latest system is replacement of the crystal normally use for laser clock timing with one made of the space age material rubidium, which is 1000 times more accurate.

now, that sounds like they aren't claiming anything but benefits in the mastering process, so then, without question the db rip would capture it all...but anyone know if xrcd makes any claims that would suggest that, they think (or market) that the physical cd itself or some element of the info has some property that couldn't be ripped.....

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

The use of Gold CDs is to minimise oxidation which can occur with traditional aluminium CDs so will last longer. If oxidation does occur on the CD, then bits are lost and more error correction is required by the the player.

Some will argue that more error correction equates to less audio quality.

Best to rip your CDs asap, IMHO. :smile2:

Comment

Working...

]]>