title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Creating Sort tags

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MDE
    • Dec 2010

Creating Sort tags

I'm a bit puzzled by the way CD Ripper operates in respect of Sort tags. I had thought that, if I had the metadata setting in "Options" was set to write all the Sort tags (e.g. Artist Sort, ComposerSort), then they would be created automatically from the corresponding unsorted tags. However, I have just ripped a CD when this did not happen. Does it only write these tags if they are in the source metadata? If so, is there an automatic way of creating Sort tags?
    I have the Reference version, BTW.
  • dbfan
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jan 2011

Re: Creating Sort tags

Sort tags should only be present if they contain information which is different to the main tag, having the same value has no point.

Comment

• MDE
      • Dec 2010

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand that reply. If Artist = "xxx yyy" then I thought Artist Sort should = "yyy, xxx". Am I misunderstanding this? I am ripping to FLAC for use in Squeezebox. If I set up a Custom Browse menu for ComposerSort, then this nicely sorts all composers by last name, which is much more useful than first name. Often the tag ComposerSort seems to be there after ripping and is "Lastname, Firstname" as required, but not always.

Comment

• dbfan
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jan 2011

It is not as simple as that, as many arrest names, if they were reversed would be incorrect.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by MDE
          I'm a bit puzzled by the way CD Ripper operates in respect of Sort tags. I had thought that, if I had the metadata setting in "Options" was set to write all the Sort tags (e.g. Artist Sort, ComposerSort), then they would be created automatically from the corresponding unsorted tags. However, I have just ripped a CD when this did not happen. Does it only write these tags if they are in the source metadata? If so, is there an automatic way of creating Sort tags?
          I have the Reference version, BTW.
          They are not automatically generated. They're just tags, like any other, so if the field exists in the metadata, you'll whatever is there. If you want to dynamically generate them from other tag data, you could try to set that up in the IDTag Processing DSP. But I don't think it has functions sophisticated enough to reliably reverse names like you want. You'll probably have to use a tag editor for that.

Comment

Working...

]]>